Pelical Fell In

Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:38 am

All,

I'm relatively new to sour beer brewing, so I don't really understand all of the ins and out of fermenting.

A friend of mine bumped into his carboy last night and the pelical fell into the beer. Will the pelical reform? If not, will the beer still continue to develop, or should he consider his fermentation complete?

Thanks in advance!!
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Re: Pelical Fell In

Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Hey buddy, how long was the pellicle up?

Mills
:bnarmy:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:56 pm

Mills wrote:Hey buddy, how long was the pellicle up?

Mills
:bnarmy:

Isn't that kind of a personal question??

:mrgreen:

I have my first sour in a secondary right now too and at one point I decided to try and take a small sample to taste and the pellicle kind of dissipated, but now it's back and thicker than before. If I remember correctly the pellicle thickness is directly related to oxygen contact. Whether or no there's a pellicle, the bug will still be working until there's no more food left or something else makes them stop.
Travisty

Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:48 pm

No worries, your pellicle will quickly reform itself. as said above, probably even thicker than before. I just racked half of a flanders pale on to peaches and left the other half in the carboy. Pellicle got all busted up, of course, but now it is thicker than ever!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:33 am

Cool. Thanks for the replies! The pelical had only been up for about a month.
Crupp

On tap: 09 Cider, American Mild, Dark Mild II, American Wheat, Hefe, Traditional Mead, Belgian Blond
crupp

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:23 am

I too am new to sours and my pellicle has been on for 18 months. Is the theory that the beer is done when the pellicle drops on its own?

Aaron
Corporal in the NC Battalion
Millhaus

Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:29 am

Millhaus wrote:I too am new to sours and my pellicle has been on for 18 months. Is the theory that the beer is done when the pellicle drops on its own?

Aaron

That's what I've heard/read, but I think it's best to let your palate make the final decision.
Crupp

crupp

Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:54 am

Agreed...not all pellicles will drop. If there is no vibrations nearby then the pellicle can remain intact for a very long time. have a taste and see if you like the flavor development. If not, let it go a few more mos and have another taste.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Return to Fermentation