Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:21 am

okay, maybe we weren't looking at the question in the right light.

So, say I'm stranded on some deserted island and I need some booze. What would I do? Well, since i'm lazy, I probably wouldn't do anything with grain because I wouldn't want to malt it. I'd just smash up any plant/fruit that had a good amount of sugars in it, boil (or pasteurize) it, and then let the wild yeast do their magic.
Bryan "Sir Vorlauf" Peretto
www.twinhillsbrewery.com
www.kotmf.com
bperetto

Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:00 pm

bperetto wrote: I'd just smash up any plant/fruit that had a good amount of sugars in it, boil (or pasteurize) it, and then let the wild yeast do their magic.

Ummm....if you pasteurize it, won't that let all the magic out of the wild yeast?

I think yeast tends to collect on the skins of fruits anyway - thus you can just squish grapes for wine or apples for cider.

Mango, papaya, palm date wine? Sounds like a good start to me!
DannyW

Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:58 am

DannyW wrote:
bperetto wrote: I'd just smash up any plant/fruit that had a good amount of sugars in it, boil (or pasteurize) it, and then let the wild yeast do their magic.

Ummm....if you pasteurize it, won't that let all the magic out of the wild yeast?

I think yeast tends to collect on the skins of fruits anyway - thus you can just squish grapes for wine or apples for cider.

Mango, papaya, palm date wine? Sounds like a good start to me!

While it was cooling, I'm sure it'd pick up plenty of more wild yeast (a'la lambic cool ships). plus I doubt I'd have my kettle, fermenters, and iodophor with me, so there'll be plenty of chances for infection :-)

I've had wines made from mango, papaya, that star passion fruit, and a couple of others. I was at the southern most US winery near Miami a month ago. I brought back a bottle of the guava. They were all great.
Bryan "Sir Vorlauf" Peretto
www.twinhillsbrewery.com
www.kotmf.com
bperetto

Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:57 am

you want to be real carefull about boiling fruit juices... you will make Jelly
BUB
Lunch Meet "Limpian" Gold Medalist (x2) 2006
Winner of <b>NO PANTS</b> award 2006 and 2007
Make your own beer website... starting at $10 per YEAR.
www.bubweb.com & www.momenttoponder.com
bub
Global Moderator

Re: survival brewing

Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:52 pm

bperetto wrote:
Flyerman wrote:what can be used in the bush to brew beer?

Yeast can be found in the bush. Not sure if I'd want to use that, though.

(sorry, couldn't help it)

Is that why women in the past were traditionally the brewers? They were a natural source of yeast? IS that also why woman were not supposed to brew during that special time? Did it make the beer taste "meaty" :lol:
barleypopmaker

Previous

Return to All Grain Brewing