Jamil's beer inventory

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:47 am

Checking out his walk-in cooler pages, Jamil obviously has a pretty comprehensive bottled beer inventory. I assume these are mostly destined for competitions.

I was wondering if anyone (or if Jamil is reading) knows his typical schedule for bottling for comps? Does he leave them in the keg for x number of weeks, until something else is ready to go online? Is there a minimum he keeps them kegged, or does he even keg all of his beer? And most interesting, how long does he keep typical beer in inventory? Does he, for example, submit an APA or IPA six months after brewed?
dagomike

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:30 pm

I just wanted to secound that question. I have offten seen kegarators, and other storage rooms filled with bottled beer. It may seen silly but with how I'm thinking about how long my home brew last (3 months ish) how do you go through it all? Or will my force carbonated beer last longer than three to 5 months?

Tim
TimCA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:40 pm

I just polished off a keg a few weeks ago that had beer in it for 3 years. The beer was better three years old than 3 months old.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm

What kind? What was to OG?
Tim
TimCA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:53 pm

What kind? What was to OG?
Tim
TimCA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:11 pm

It was an Old Ale. O.G. = 1.090
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:26 am

Well, certainly some beer styles age better than others, so it's not a question of how long something _can_ sit. I've had beer on tap for 9 months that was still decent, but heading down the back slope of the quality peak. I wouldn't enter those into a competition because they don't represent the beer it once was.

I guess I'm just wondering how long Jamil typically keeps bottled beer around for competitions. I'm sure since he keeps it cold, that helps a lot.
dagomike

Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Cold and stable helps. Brew with as little contamination helps even more.

I have beers in there that are 5 years old. They still taste good enough to enter. I have some beers in there 3 months old and I think I'll pour them out.

Contrary to what we're all told, I find that low OG beers do just fine for years.

High OG beers improve, but low OG beers don't suffer as much as we're all told.

No real schedule for kegging/bottling. More of a "it feels right" type of thing.

I hope that helps.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing