Mashing Out

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:25 pm

How important is mashing out? I am using a rectangular icechest with a copper manifold. When I go to sparge I am having trouble getting my grain bed to raise temp. I am mashing at around 154 and when I sparge my temp seems to drop because I am opening the top of the cooler. What temp should my grain bed be and how crucial is this? I am sparging with 170 degree water.

Thanks,
Scrib
scribble

Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:54 pm

Assuming you are batch sparging, mashout temperature is not all that important. The purpose of mashout is to raise the temperature enough so that conversion stops. This supposedly helps you to control the amount of fermentable sugars produced so that you can control how dry your beer ferments out.

In batch sparging, however, the mash bed temperature does not remain at the mashout temperature long enough for this denaturing to take effect. You will have drained the wort long before that happens. Thus, in batch sparging, the benefit of mashout is limited to reducing the viscosity of the wort so that you are able to drain all the sugars more efficiently.

In practical terms, water at 170° or higher is just fine for your sparge. Mush lower and you won't be able to rinse as much of the sugar out of your grain bed, i.e. extraction efficiency will take a hit. I hit as high as 80% with 170° sparge water. I seldom raise the temp of the sparge water any higher than that on purpose.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:51 pm

mashing out can improve your efficiency a good amount. My understanding is that raising the temp denatures the enzymes responsible for the conversion, releasing their products and preventing further breakdown. This allows for better control of the mash, and more soluble sugars for fermentation. Keep trying and if you still can't get it don't worry too much about it. I started mashing out and when i was comfortable learning how to change the grain bed temp for the mash out I moved on to step mashing. It is kind of a way to learn adjusting grain bed temps without doing any damage to the beer.
marc
masintek

Re: Mashing Out

Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:38 am

scribble wrote:How important is mashing out? I am using a rectangular icechest with a copper manifold. When I go to sparge I am having trouble getting my grain bed to raise temp. I am mashing at around 154 and when I sparge my temp seems to drop because I am opening the top of the cooler. What temp should my grain bed be and how crucial is this? I am sparging with 170 degree water.

Thanks,
Scrib

Mashout is not critical, and neither is the temp. Doing a mashout at a proper temp can help a bit, but not doing one or not hitting your temp won't have any negative effects, either. I use 185-190F sparge water, which gets my grainbed temp up to about 168F.
Denny

Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:00 pm

Denny is right. If you do not do a mashout then your batch sparge water temp needs to be hot enought to get the grainbed temp up to 168-170.
ChefVinny089

Sat Oct 22, 2005 7:00 am

I can only tell you I have done and not done a mashout and it seems to make very little difference on my system. Like Denny said I just heat my sparge water to 185 or so, and all is well.
Peace!
pvignola

Return to All Grain Brewing