Attn. AZ hop growers!

Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:37 am

Does anyone here in AZ have any experience with growing hops in the high country of AZ? My parents have a cabin and some land up in Pinetop and we know the owner of a garden shop there who apparently had found some hops growing naturally, and decided to plant some at his house. So I know it will work, but was just wondering if any of you have any personal experience. Thanks!
Matt

Keg:
Fermenting: 10 gal each: Dry Stout, Irish Red, Ord. Bitter
Next to brew: Nut Brown Ale or English IPA
toycruiser23

Re: Attn. AZ hop growers!

Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:02 pm

I have hops growing in Phoenix and in Christopher Creek.

Obviously different challenges, though you will have to water quite a bit even in the high country because of the dryness.

The problem in growing in AZ is that your cones will be very small compared to those grown in Cascadia.

We do not enjoy the loooong hours of daylight as they do in the PAC-NW.
olllllo

Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 am

Oh nice! I'm guessing the biggest challenge for growing in Phoenix is to not let the hop plants burn pretty much? I thought about trying to grow at my house in Chandler. I already have a nice trellis system and plenty of other vines that have thrived, but then again, I'm not looking to use any of the flowers off of those vines. Maybe I'll take one of the rhizomes and try it out.

I figure I would have to pay close attention to them for the first couple of months. My grandparents live up there in the summer time and have volunteered to help take care of them, so I should be good. But I figure once the monsoons start hitting, the White Mountains gets a bit more rain than Phoenix and that would help out as well.

Good point about the looong hours up there. I'm sure the hops like that! Thanks for the input!
Matt

Keg:
toycruiser23

Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:15 am

Update: After hearing that Olllllo has successfully grown hops in Phoenix and checking an old plant book that hops can grow pretty much anywhere, I decided to try a couple at my place in Chandler and a couple down in Sierra Vista at one of my parent's place. I have successfully grown some amazing vines at my Chandler house so hopefully the hops will follow suite. The climate in Sierra Vista is roughly 10-20 degrees cooler than Phoenix and gets a lot more monsoon rain than Phoenix. My parents have also had success growing plants down there.

Now the question is, I have 2 hop varieties. Goldings and Fuggles, 2 of each. I'm guessing I should keep the varieties together, but should I plant the Goldings or Fuggles in Phoenix? Any suggestions? Or doesn't matter too much? Thanks!
Matt

Keg:
toycruiser23

Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:33 pm

My only experience is with cascade. My Phoenix hops are already 5' tall and are on their fourth year. You may have to keep them low and bushy and use shade cloth.

You only job this year is to keep them alive.

If they make it the first year, the will come back every year, even if you fry them to the ground. I had one bine flame out only to come back and flower in November albeit not harvest-able.
olllllo

Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Thank you for the info Olllllo!

I just got 2 of them planted. I planted my 2 Goldings here in Chandler on the East side of my house. I have a garden over there already so I just used one of the garden pods. Here are some pictures!

Matt

Keg:
toycruiser23

Return to Homegrown