Weyermann Crystal Malts

Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:25 am

Hi all,

I'd like to hear some opinions on subbing Weyermann malts (CaraVienne, CaraRed, etc) for Crystal malts. For example, has anyone here subbed CaraVienne for Crystal 20, and noticed any difference in overall contribution or flavour profile? I've heard that Special B and CaraAroma add very different flavours, but what about some of the others (E.g. CaraMunich 3 for Crystal 60, etc)???
"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!" - Gus (Brad Sullivan), in "Canadian Bacon".
ScootsieDoubleday

Re: Weyermann Crystal Malts

Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:00 am

I have found that although you get some of the same colors from subing the Weyermann vs. the Crystals, the taste is completely different. For instance, I used some CaraMunich in lieu of Crystal 80 in a beer a couple of months ago. The result was a beer that tasted ok but didn't have the flavor profile that I was looking for in the style. The CaraMunich lent a Muinch malt flavor that was representitive of a European style beer and did not fit the style that I was trying to produce. It was still very drinkable but was difficult to explain to my beer buddies of what I was trying to achieve. That being said, I have had some really nice beers using Weyermann malts.
Weenie Boy

Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:43 am

Weenie Boy wrote:I have found that although you get some of the same colors from subing the Weyermann vs. the Crystals, the taste is completely different. For instance, I used some CaraMunich in lieu of Crystal 80 in a beer a couple of months ago. The result was a beer that tasted ok but didn't have the flavor profile that I was looking for in the style. The CaraMunich lent a Muinch malt flavor that was representitive of a European style beer and did not fit the style that I was trying to produce. It was still very drinkable but was difficult to explain to my beer buddies of what I was trying to achieve. That being said, I have had some really nice beers using Weyermann malts.

Hey Weenie,

I've subbed Caramunich III for C60, but never for 80. I thought the results were pretty good, but my palate isnt that sophisticated. I regularly sub Caramunich I for C40. In both Caramunich subs, I've noticed less overt sweetness and more "sweetness balanced by body".

I just acquired some C20, and I might do a dry and wet taste test comapring it to CaraRed. (Although, CaraRed comes in at 15-19 degree Lovibond, and a comparison between C20 and Caravienne might be more appropriate).
"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!" - Gus (Brad Sullivan), in "Canadian Bacon".
ScootsieDoubleday

Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm

I don't know that I would characterize Weyermann malts as anything other than malts with different flavors. That being said, I, too, have used the CaraRed and love it. I believe that of all the Weyermann malts that I have used, it is the closest to the crystal flavor profile (I think crystal 60, even though the CaraRed I used was like 19L if I'm not mistaken).

I agreee that the dry taste test will give you a very good understanding of the flavor that the malt will bring to the beer.

Happy Brewing to you Brother,

Weenie Boy
Weenie Boy

Return to Brewing Ingredients