How fast do enyzmes work (Beano)

Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:38 pm

How fast should I expect the enymes in beano to complete their activity in a carboy of 60-65 degree ale?

Days? Weeks? Months?

I have 2.5 gallons of 1.03 sg beer w/ 10.0%+ alcohol w/ recently roused High Gravity yeast and one crushed beano tablet.

The carboy right next to it is the other 2.5 gallons. That isn't getting any beano - its going to be primed and bottled "as is" at 1.03.

Thanks
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
AlchemistGeorge

Re: How fast do enyzmes work (Beano)

Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:47 am

Chris White wrote:It depends.

I've never used beano, but the stuff I've read from other people seems like it works pretty slow. Keep us posted on the side by side. I would like to know how that comes out.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:44 pm

Lufah wrote:

I've never used beano, but the stuff I've read from other people seems like it works pretty slow. Keep us posted on the side by side. I would like to know how that comes out.

Travis

I thought that was a joke...why would you put beano in your beer?
shamusonme

Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:55 pm

shamusonme wrote:
Lufah wrote:

Travis

I thought that was a joke...why would you put beano in your beer?

the enzymes converts unfermentable sugars into fermentable ones, useful when you have a bunch of beer that has fermented from 1.12 to 1.05 but won't ferment any further. You can also buy amylase powder.

some folks use it to make 'low carb' beer, aka lite beer.
Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
AlchemistGeorge

Return to All Grain Brewing