Adding Honey to a Wheat Recipe

Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:16 pm

I would like to add 1# of honey to my wheat recipe. What kind of honey do I need? Bee honey, clover honey?
beer4myhorses

Re: Adding Honey to a Wheat Recipe

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:44 pm

Tell us more:

What kind of "Wheat Recipe"?
Yeast profile? Hops? OG? FG? Dark? Light?

Lots to answer here.

Here's a honey/wheat recipe of mine that's done pretty well and is quite a pleaser for the ladies -- my buddy nicknamed it the "Panty Melter":

http://www.brewtility.com/ViewRecipe.aspx?RecipeID=49

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm

BDawg - what do you think about a regular cal ale yeast on that recipe? It looks interesting to me, but I don't have any of the required yeast around.
Fermenting - Sour/hoppy Belgian Pale
On deck - ?
Kegged - Belgian Wit
brewerTristan

Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:33 pm

I did an American Wheat from Northern Brewer that I decided to add 2 pounds of honey to.

Recipe:

6 lbs Wheat LME

1 oz Willamette (60 mins)

1 oz Cascade (15 mins)

Wyeast 1010 American Wheat Ale

I did a partial boil at about 3 gallons. I ended up adding in the Willamette hops, but then half of the Cascade for the 60 minutes. I knew I was adding a bit of sweet to this with the honey. Not sure if it did a whole lot, but it was what I had.

I added the honey in at about 15 minutes left. I used honey I got from a friend who keeps bees. I believe it was clover honey, really bright. Sorry, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, this was an experiment for me. I didn't really know what I was doing and I suppose I still don't. It turned out ok. It packs a kick and as it ages it gets better.

My advice would be to add a couple weeks onto fermentation or bottling before you drink this when you add your honey to an extract kit. Mine definitely has a sweet honey flavor to it.

If you want to read about the brew day and more specifics of what I did, plus see the honey I used you can check out my blog post about it.

Homebrewing with Honey
mikebiewer

Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:21 pm

brewerTristan wrote:BDawg - what do you think about a regular cal ale yeast on that recipe? It looks interesting to me, but I don't have any of the required yeast around.

Sure! Cal Ale, 002/1968 or Kolsch yeast all work great in that recipe.
Go for it-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:49 am

So if I add one pound of honey, can I just go to the store and guy honey off the shelf or does this have to be something I purchase through a home brew supply store? If I get honey from the store, is that clover honey, or what is it made of? Will it be good for brewing. I plan to bring it to 170 to get the impurities out.
beer4myhorses

Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:45 am

Yea, you can take right off the shelf I believe.

And yes, bring the temp up for at least 15 minutes.

Should be good to go.

I'd recommend adjusting your hop schedule as well.

Let us know how it goes!
mikebiewer

Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:39 am

:asshat:
Last edited by Sent From My iPhone on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sent From My iPhone

Next

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing