That beer line taste problem and is it really the beer line?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:42 pm

I've been experiencing a ongoing problem. A strong plastic off taste when beer sits in my line for more than about 2-3 minutes. I know the beer coming out of the keg is ok, and I can drink it as long as I avoid leaving any in the line. The small amount of beer in the line also foams up violently when released into the glass. But I've changed my lines about 4-5 times, used different taps, guns, stripped discos, taps etc. PBW soak, etc, etc. Other people do not have these problems with the same line types (poly, vinyl etc), as I have witnessed it myself drinking their beer. I can understand a small taint, but mine is extreme.

My question is: can something in my beer (PH, high sodium brewing water, etc) react with the typical beerline materials to cause plasticty taste problems?

Any ideas?
Eamonn

Re: That beer line taste problem and is it really the beer line?

Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:57 pm

What is the source of your beer line? Is it actual beer line from a brewing store or restaurant supply place OR is it from the hardware store?
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Latest line is from homebrew supply store.

EVA-BEVERAGE TUBE 8MM-5/16".SOLD BY THE METER.DESCRIPTION:formulated from Ethylene Vinyl Acetate, a food grade compound which will not taint beverages.It has good flexibility, a mirror smooth bore and excellent abrasion resistance.COLOUR: Translucent.Temp Rating:-20 to 75 C.DIMENSIONS:OD 8mm ID 5mm. Working Pressure:40 PSI @ 20C.

Used simple vinyl previously and that was similar but worse. Noticed my friends dont have the same problem with thier beer with the same lines. Therefore I think something in my beer is promoting this reaction in the line. Just looking for ideas on what might be doing this? :?:
Eamonn

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:14 pm

dunleav1

Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:49 pm

It can absolutely be your beer line. I have had problems with Foxx Superflex beer lines giving my beer a strong vinyl taste. I didn't wait for it to possibly go away, I just replaced the lines with the opaque stuff.
ChrisKennedy

Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:53 am

:asshat:
Last edited by Sent From My iPhone on Mon May 02, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sent From My iPhone

Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:10 am

I have fox lines and have noticed that flavor but my in my lighter beers like a German Pills and my Belgian Blonde. I will run a few ounces out and pour it out and then it is good to go but still worries me a bit.
LoganO

Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:43 pm

Update - found some severe pitting to the stainless on the beer out poppet to this keg. Replaced the poppet and will see how it goes later today.
Eamonn

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing