Converting an extract recipe to a mini mash

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:44 am

I was wondering if there was a conversion formula to convert an extract recipe into a mini mash recipe?

I've been listening to The Session for a couple years now and really want to try to make Tasty's Janet's Brown Ale recipe that is in Brewing Classic Styles on page 143.

I just downloaded the trial for pro mash and added the recipe as extract in hopes that I could figure out how to do the conversion to mini mash in there. After messing around with it for a while and looking on that forum I realized I had no idea what I was doing. :)

Prost!

:jnj
Hop Monkey

Re: Converting an extract recipe to a mini mash

Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:50 am

I would just go ahead punch the extract recipe into promash then also punch in one pound of american two row. See how much that adds to your original gravity, then reduce your pale extract until you are back the original OG. Then go for it!
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks Mills!

I will give that a go.

Is that fairly universal then? Can I add 2lbs of the base malt for other recipes to convert them as well?

Thanks again!
Hop Monkey

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:31 am

Yep it is pretty universal. Set your efficiency at 70% in promash and then check your final gravity. It might be slightly higher or lower, but keep the same process for all batches and then you will find consistency batch to batch. I suggested one pound of 2 row because i didnt know how much you could handle pound wise due to four pounds of other grains in this recipe. Also, keep a close eye on volumes with your recipes.

- Doc

Mills

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:42 am

I think the 2lbs will be good. I live in an apartment and I have to do a partial boil on my stove. I use my 20 qt pot for my mini mash and boil.

Really appreciate the help!
Hop Monkey

Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:59 am

Do you have a copy of how to brew? If not you should definetly pick it up here: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/store/ ... a8bfec1ce3, it is a great book. While you wait for delivery, check out the first edition on line at howtobrew.com. He goes step by step through the partial mash. Happy brewing!
:bnarmy:

- Doc

Mills

Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:45 am

I do have How to brew and have read it cover to cover, but think I should read it again. A lot of great info that hasn't fully sunk in yet. :)

Just starting to read Designing Great Beers now. Looking forward to attempting a recipe from scratch this year.

So far the info you gave me worked great for the Janet's brown mini mash recipe. I came in a little low on the gravity, but thanks to listening to the Session I had a bag of DME on hand to get it to my target gravity. Been dry hopping now for a week in the secondary. Going to bottle tomorrow.

I'll post again in a month or so when we open the first bottle to let you know how it came out.

Many thanks agian Mils I really appreciate your help. :jnj
Hop Monkey

Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I use BeerSmith which like other brewing tools can have a learning curve - QBrew is a free open source program that works pretty well and is easy to use.

http://www.brothersoft.com/qbrew-165297.html

On stovetop mini-mashing I'm finding my efficiency is between 60-50%
Old_Skool

Return to Extract & Partial Mash Brewing