Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:32 am

Hello eveyone.
I am new to mead making and I have started my 1st batch.
I did a 5 gal recipe with 4 pounds of mixed berries and 15 pounds of honey.
It fermented out in 2 weeks so I racked it 2 weeks later. I let another 2 weeks go by and I racked it again to help clear it up. So I decided to have a little taste And the after tasted was of medicine. Is this normal or did I screw up? I don't want to keep it around for 6 months to a year only to have the final product taste like nyquil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Lupo13
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:19 am

If possible could you please post your exact recipe, and process? ie what berries, fresh, frozen, yeast used, fermentation temps, honey used, nutrient additions, OG, etc?

Please be as exact as possible.

Thanks!
User avatar
yabodie
 
Posts: 429
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:30 am
Location: G'burg, MD

Re: Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:27 am

Lupo13 wrote:Hello eveyone.
I am new to mead making and I have started my 1st batch.
I did a 5 gal recipe with 4 pounds of mixed berries and 15 pounds of honey.
It fermented out in 2 weeks so I racked it 2 weeks later. I let another 2 weeks go by and I racked it again to help clear it up. So I decided to have a little taste And the after tasted was of medicine. Is this normal or did I screw up? I don't want to keep it around for 6 months to a year only to have the final product taste like nyquil. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.


4 lbs of frozen mixed berries. (strawberries,black berries,rasberries and grapes)
15 lbs of clover hone
5 gal of springwater
5 grams of chapaign yeast
Lupo13
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:31 am

yabodie wrote:If possible could you please post your exact recipe, and process? ie what berries, fresh, frozen, yeas
t used, fermentation temps, honey used, nutrient additions, OG, etc?

Please be as exact as possible.

Thanks!



Of I forgot I did add 4 tsp of yeast nutrient (dap) I think they call it and the temp is about 67 degrees
Lupo13
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:12 pm

do you use bleach to clean your carboy? spring water? from an actual spring or a big ass jug in a store?

residual bleach will leave a medicinal/band aid flavor. the water source may also be the problem...some of the companies that sell bottled water treat it with chemicals. that's my 0.02
I'm enjoying my 6-pack....my 6-pack of Superbowl trophies!
twitter.com\@ajignatz
ajignatz@gmail.com
User avatar
Steelers&Beer
 
Posts: 1041
Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:46 am
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Medicine after taste.

Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:50 pm

chlorophenol caused by using chloronated brewing water or a bleach sanitizer would be my first guess. it could also be a wild yeast.

however, the one time I made a mead using champagne yeast it resulted in something akin to rocket fuel and the off flavor did not go away for about 6 months. if you didn't introduce chlorine into your brew and your sanitation is good then it's possible that the flavor will eventually age out.
uncle_bad_touches
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Re: Medicine after taste.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 am

uncle_bad_touches wrote:chlorophenol caused by using chloronated brewing water or a bleach sanitizer would be my first guess. it could also be a wild yeast.

however, the one time I made a mead using champagne yeast it resulted in something akin to rocket fuel and the off flavor did not go away for about 6 months. if you didn't introduce chlorine into your brew and your sanitation is good then it's possible that the flavor will eventually age out.



I used purified spring water from the grocery store. And I thought I did pretty good with sanitizing everything with the sanitizer I bought from the wine making store.
Lupo13
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:23 am

Re: Medicine after taste.

Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:57 am

if that's the case then the I'd let it sit for a few months and see how it tastes then. as long as your water was clean and you don't have a wild yeast infection I'd expect the flavor to improve over time.
uncle_bad_touches
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:16 am
Location: Oakland, CA

Next

Return to Mead & Cider

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.