Help with unfound ingredients in Pro mash....

Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:53 pm

I am hoping for some help. I am putting a recipe from a kit into Pro Mash. My question is there is no “CaraFoam” in Pro Mash, what is another name for it? Also Pro mash does not have “Newport” hops, is there a different name for these?

Thanks
Tim
TimCA

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Carafoam is the Weyermann version of Carapils. To add it to ProMash click on "Grains" at the bottom of the opening screen. From there click "new". There you just fill in the blanks. Your gravity potential will be about 1.033. Color is about 2 Lovibond (officially 3 EBC if you know how to convert that). % yield (fine grind) is 85.

Newport Hops are a new variety introduced in 2002. Alpha acid is in the range of 13.5-17%, basically a high alpha bittering hop. Suggested substitutions are Galena, Nugget, Fuggle, Magnum and Brewer's Gold. That should give you some indication of the expected flavor. Again go to the "hops" button on the Promash main screen and click "new" to enter this data.

Hope this helps.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:28 pm

Ok heres what i find on paddockwood the carafoam is wyermans version of carapils. On the newport fesh hops lists it as a 11- 17% alpha so by looking at that page Nugget,amarillo,columbus,and chinook should all be good subs.
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Return to All Grain Brewing