Re: How tall are your hop plants? List age and where your are.

Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:12 pm

All first years..., all 2 bines per hill

Cascade- 7 ft.

Centennials- 14 ft.!!!

Zues- 14 ft!!!

The only concern is the lower leaves are showing a slight potassium deficiency.
viperpiper

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 pm

Anyone having any pest issues?

I have some beetles... they look like cucumber beetles, but w/o the spots... and I've recently noticed these little f'ing caterpillars that have probably been doing most of the damage - still need to look them up.

Regardless... my 3 2nd year goldings are all well over 14+, 2 2nd year willa's are 12, 1 1st year willa is 3.5, 2 1st year magnum are about 10, 1 2nd year mag is 14, and last but not least 2 2nd year centennial are 18+ with a first year cent at 8ft. Every plant I keep pruned back to 4 bines.

I've probably pruned off over 30-40 bines between all of them - and as a joke, I took the broken off bines of 8 or 10 and stuffed them into a pile of compost. Low and behold, they took..... freaky flippen plant. No root stock to speak of, and they didn't seem to care at all. (3 or 4 did just shrivel and die).

Also, what do you guys net on average for your established plants, per plant? 4 oz. per plant dry? 1lb per plant dry? More? I'm trying to figure how much hops I'll be rolling in w/ my 12 plants this and next year.
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Btw, I'm in mid state NH, and my plants get sun from 30-60 mins after sun up until sundown. Didn't have any bines show until the last week in april (which was too early in fact, considering we had frosts as late as may 20th).
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:34 am

All of my plants are first year plantings from a club buddy with tons of plants.

Saaz at ~15 Ft
Fuggles at ~ 10 Ft
Cascade at ~ 3 Ft.

Not sure on numbers of bines, have had some broken off due to weather moving lines around. The Saaz and fuggles came up at about the same time, but the saaz has been growing like mad.

I'm in SE Minnesota. They get sun most of the day, until about 5-6 pm.
Neuron_Theory was brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot.
BN Army Corporal - 1st Minn. Lakefront Divison
Prost!
Neuron_Theory

Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:50 am

Phoenix, AZ
4 2nd year Cascade
About 12' - 15'
Pic taken last month

I have these bines growing in the shade. I have choir running much higher but the tips fried and so the plants decided to grow side arms and are getting much bushier.

Plan is to harvest rhizomes and try in a shadier place.

I also have 6 plants NE of Payson, AZ which sees snow in the winter and highs in the upper 90's during the summer. Those plants are 2nd year and as of last week were exceeding 15'
olllllo

Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:40 am

Central PA (State College area), just finishing the rainy season, ready to hit full sun July. First year hop yard, as such, my plants have been trimmed back to 2 growing shoots per rhizome so that the root ball (he he) grows. I have them running up jute twine on a random telephone pole in my yard, topping out at about 25 feet. They get full sun from about 8 am until 3-4 pm.

Willamette (best) - 7 feet and growing fast.
Cascade (worst) - 4 feet and sluggish (this is due to the brittle shoot tips breaking off early in the season, and playing catch up ever since).
Nugget (good) - 6 feet and growing fast.

So far no pests, but there's a couple of bites on a couple of leaves, nothing to worry about yet. It's about time for a serious feeding schedule so that they get tall enough by July-August.
Corporal, BN Army Rural/BFE Division
On Tap: Janet's Brown (Sextuple Hopped!)
Secondary: none
Primary:
Bottled: Cider, Mead, Blonde, Wine
On Deck: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout and Scottish 70/-
DrYeast

Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 am

Planted really late, partial sun and not enough water but there it is trying to survive. I am sure they will grow well here in San Jose if only I gave them the care they needed.

"Despite the high cost of living, it still remains popular"
jomebrew

Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:14 pm

South central Louisiana

1 third year Cascade
15'

The top of my trellace is only 10' but it's grown sideways and down anothe 5'

I'll post pics when I get home.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

PreviousNext

Return to Homegrown