Re: Surprise! Jamil Show: Can You Brew It tonight!

Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:07 pm

OK, here's another one I need help with. I am still an extract brewer. So I drop out all but one pound of the 2-row and add pale malt back in until I get to 1.069. I then dropped the two "cara" malts down to the initial 7.9% or about 1.06 # each. What this leaves me with though is an SRM of 12.6 compared to the target 8.8. Quite a bit of difference. I am using BeerSmith but I am still learning how to develop recipes and manipulate the ingrediants.

Thanks for the note on the Carastan / Caramalt.
808BREW
Sergeant BN Army, Pacific Division
808brew

Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:31 pm

808brew wrote:OK, here's another one I need help with. I am still an extract brewer. So I drop out all but one pound of the 2-row and add pale malt back in until I get to 1.069. I then dropped the two "cara" malts down to the initial 7.9% or about 1.06 # each. What this leaves me with though is an SRM of 12.6 compared to the target 8.8. Quite a bit of difference. I am using BeerSmith but I am still learning how to develop recipes and manipulate the ingrediants.

Thanks for the note on the Carastan / Caramalt.

For extract, try this:

84% Pale Liquid Malt Extract
8% Carastan 30/70 (C40 OK if you don't have Carastan 30/70 available)
8% Maltodextrin powder (Instead of Carapils, since you have to mash that one)

Just steep that Carastan in your boil kettle at about 150F for about 15-20 minutes and you'll be set.
Add everything else in and you're off..

Might take some fine tuning to get that quantity maltodextrin powder to attenuate at the exact FG you need, but that would be a good starting point.
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:58 am

Thanks Nate,

I played with things and here is my take on this from the novice. If I hold the percentages of grains and malts as you suggest, then my target shoud be the OG as I can adjust the combined volumn to whatever I want keeping the same ratios. If I shoot for the 1.069, then the 8% is less weight than with All Grain. I am assuming at this point that it is better to target the OG and just let the SRM come out where it does. It is still a few points higher, but if the beer tasts correct then I'm OK. Am I on the right track with this conversion?

Mahalo
808BREW
Sergeant BN Army, Pacific Division
808brew

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:03 pm

Mahalo,
I think you're definitely on the right track. I would always lean towards targeting the correct OG first before worrying too much about the SRM, especially the first time you brew a new recipe. I bet the color will be close. Cheers,
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:26 am

Brewed up this clone on Labor Day (Monday) so we're on day 4 of Fermentation.

Due to B3 being short on ingredients, I substituted the following:

Hops:
Magnum for Columbus

Grain:
Carafoam for Carapils

OG was on point at 1.070

This is my first beer using my new fermentation cooling chamber (ferment temp at 69). I'm excited to see how this turns out.
BNArmy - PFC

On Tap: Berliner weisse
In Process: Schwartzbier, BYOB Squash/Sage Amber Rebrew, Greg's Mild
On Deck: ?
In the Cellar: End of Days Barleywine
greglovesbeer

Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:38 am

Columbus and Magnum aren't good substitutes. Magnum is pretty neutral and Columbus is harsh and lends a distinctive kind of herbal aroma. Columbus brings a lot of character to this beer. I'd try and get some Columbus for dry hopping. You could also use Chinook or even Summit.

Still , I'm sure you'll end up with a tasty beer regardless.
Find success in college, work with a college success coach at http://www.deliberateliving.org/
Tom from Raleigh

Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:18 am

Brewed this about 5 weeks ago or so pulled my first bottle the other day after natural carbing for 1 week..and holy shit balls this beer is damnnnnn good! I dont have access to the actual beer to compare but either way this tasted outstanding! Thanks for the great recipe this is def a keeper.
Broners&Brewbies

Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:38 pm

Thanks for the great recipe Nahthan! :jnj

Brewed it about a month ago. (Used Tasty's water profile) It turned out fantastic. I can't get Green Flash locally, so I can't do a blind comparison, but this IPA kicks ass. I didn't have a #6 stopped to add to the fermentor, but I did have a bee land in the boil around the 75 minute mark. It was subsequently named "Hop Stinger" and took the gold in category for the BN at yesterday's HOPS BOPS competition in Philly.

:aaron
trouble brewin

Previous

Return to Beer Radio