American Hybrid/ Belgian Water Profiles

Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:07 pm

I've been searching teh internetz for the perfect water profiles for a Belgian Saison and Blonde Ale and have come up empty handed.....so I'm thinking that I'll have to use the Nomograph in How to Brew to come up with what water profile to use based on the beers' SRM. Is this the best way to go about finding my water profile for these styles?

If so, I may use Jye's application to figure out what to add to my distilled water (waiting for water test).
Stevorino

Re: American Hybrid/ Belgian Water Profiles

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:27 am

If you have excel use Palmer's spread sheet. It is an incredible tool. You can enter you water profile and it will give you what your waters RA and srm range. If need be it will guide you through your water adjustment.
Life's better living in Dogtown.

"Alcohol is a time continuum thing. It just, like, squishes it down."
- Doc
Proofman

Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:46 am

Proofman wrote:If you have excel use Palmer's spread sheet. It is an incredible tool. You can enter you water profile and it will give you what your waters RA and srm range. If need be it will guide you through your water adjustment.

I look forward to using his spreadsheet-- My problem, however, is what to aim for. I have no idea what my target water profile should be for these two styles.
Stevorino

Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 am

You need to know the SRM of the recipe you will be brewing. If you have the recipe and it doesn't come with an SRM, you can enter it into a brewing software like beersmith or promash. If you are building the recipe yourself, use the software. They let you down load trial versions. Saisons and blondes are pretty low SRM, so they will use a low RA. If you are starting with distilled water, Add minerals until it gives you an SRM range that your target SRM will be in. Also, read chapter 15 (i think) in how to brew again. If you are starting with distilled water you may want to add some Ca for the yeasts.

- Doc
Proofman

Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:22 am

Proofman wrote:You need to know the SRM of the recipe you will be brewing. If you have the recipe and it doesn't come with an SRM, you can enter it into a brewing software like beersmith or promash. If you are building the recipe yourself, use the software. They let you down load trial versions. Saisons and blondes are pretty low SRM, so they will use a low RA. If you are starting with distilled water, Add minerals until it gives you an SRM range that your target SRM will be in. Also, read chapter 15 (i think) in how to brew again. If you are starting with distilled water you may want to add some Ca for the yeasts.

I relistened to the Brewing Water Podcasts and got down the SRM to RA talk. And like you are saying, it sounds like I need a minimum of 50ppm Calcium -- what about the Sulfate to Chloride Ratios? Balanced for these styles?
Stevorino

Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:52 am

If you are doing a saison or blonde, you will want a ratio that favors the chloride (malt flavors). If you add a bunch of sulfate it will put a sharp edge to the bitterness, not what you want with these. Palmers spread sheet will give you what the ratio will be (from very malty to very bitter) when you enter what salts you add. Also look at table 23 in chapter 15 in palmers book (pg 166 in my book). The table breaks down the salts/mineral and how they affect mash pH. You may have to add two different types of Ca to get the RA desired.

If you use municipal water, check your local water. it might be fine for this style. I have water that is very low in minerals, so I can easily brew a saison or blonde.

Someone else may want to chime in with some advice.

- Doc
Proofman

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:17 am

Proofman wrote:If you are doing a saison or blonde, you will want a ratio that favors the chloride (malt flavors). If you add a bunch of sulfate it will put a sharp edge to the bitterness, not what you want with these. Palmers spread sheet will give you what the ratio will be (from very malty to very bitter) when you enter what salts you add. Also look at table 23 in chapter 15 in palmers book (pg 166 in my book). The table breaks down the salts/mineral and how they affect mash pH. You may have to add two different types of Ca to get the RA desired.

If you use municipal water, check your local water. it might be fine for this style. I have water that is very low in minerals, so I can easily brew a saison or blonde.

Someone else may want to chime in with some advice.

My water is SUPER soft. Here's one of my neighbor's water profiles:

Ca: 4
Mg: 1.1
Na: 9.4
Cl: 5
SO4: 7
Alkalinity as CaCO3: 22
Stevorino

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:25 am

yeah, your water is a lot like mine. Use the spread sheet. Fine for very pale beers. Maybe add some Ca. Enter it and see what it gives you. It will make sense.

- Doc
Proofman

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing