2nd year hop questions

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:25 pm

I've got growth again!

Last year I planted magnum, sterling and cascade. They are all coming back up now.
So far, I've got 5 magnum, 12 cascade, and 8 sterling coming up, all between 4-8 inches tall.
I'm ready to string the twine up to the roof.

I need to know many bines should I let grow, and how many to cut back. I've heard 3-6 per plant. Is that correct?
Also, in cutting them back, do i just cut them off, level with the soil?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hoov
----
http://www.hhbb.pbwiki.com

"For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication."

-- Friederich Nietzsche
hoov

Re: 2nd year hop questions

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:31 pm

I usually cut back half of them... be prepared for buckets of Cascade, they seem to grow well here in PA (and everywhere else for that matter)
Nate Diggler

Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:09 pm

A recent session show w/ Ali Hamm had a lot o info on hops.... but what I've gleaned from that and the book "the Homebrewers garden" is that its up to you, but they recommend trimming back to 3. I would say 3-4... and just cut them back at the soil (or an inch or so deeper if you like).

My second year hops are JUST coming up (thanks NH)... and im looking forward to harvesting some rhizomes and expanding the hop yard. I've read about it, but if anyone has any first hand advice, I'd appreciate it! (not to hijack the thread or anything :D )
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:41 pm

I just let mine grow. Seems more natural to me to let them do their thing rather than interfering with the growth cycle. So far its paid off for me. I get more hops than I can harvest, and I've given away countless rhizomes, probably over 20 in the past couple of years. Mine have been in the ground for 4 years and they are growing strong.
My second year hops are JUST coming up (thanks NH)... and im looking forward to harvesting some rhizomes and expanding the hop yard. I've read about it, but if anyone has any first hand advice, I'd appreciate it!

As far as expanding your hop yard, what I have done is cut the underground runners off with a spade, and plant them in a new location..they aint too fussy, they are almost on the verge of an invasive weed..with benifits of course :aaron
My water tastes like shit, so I flavor it with malt, hops and yeast..Yum!
--Me
fluffhead

Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:15 pm

Mine are just coming up again, 3rd year, I haven't cut back any bines ever.
I think Ralph Olsen said something about not needing to, I could be wrong though.
I know it helps with harvesting at commercial farms.
I just run a kind-of spiderweb of twine so I have a wall of hops.
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:19 pm

triple-oh_six wrote:I just run a kind-of spiderweb of twine so I have a wall of hops.

Too Cool!

I'm gonna put a trellis over my patio and let the suckers just cover it up.

For my (ahem) production beds I run the twine in a "V" shape with the apex at the crown. I plan to limit it to 6 or 8 bines per crown (3 to 4 per string) to keep the weight down. Maybe. I'm a hop slut, so I don't know if I can bring myself to trim potential cones. We'll see.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:43 pm

Here's my "trellis" first year, I moved the PVC more to the center the second year.

This is my Cascade early in the season second year, I wish I had taken pics when it was at it's biggest, I added more twine as it grew.

and yes that is a 2.5' parsley plant
triple-oh_six :bnarmy:

Cajun Brewing
triple-oh-six

Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:26 pm

I'm trying out the trimming back to 4 bines per plant this year. My centennial is going f'ing nuts. I was blown away when I uncovered the crowns to split off rhizomes... and I ended up just pretty much splitting off 1/3 of the plant and relocating it in another bed. A few had bines above ground... and they continued to take off so far (3 in of growth 3 days after transfering 1/3 of the plant... didn't expect that).
ApresSkiBrewer
-
Siebel Fall '09 - BREW CREW.
ApresSkiBrewer

Next

Return to Homegrown