BNA 8 Critique

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:03 am

I'll probably catch hell from my fellow BNer's about this, but...

I was ready to leave 15 minutes after I got there. My worst fears were confirmed: too hot, people packed asses to elbows, dark that I couldn't see my way around, and a screaming band that took away any chance of talking or hearing. We had to literally scream our to the bartender. Some of us were reduced to pointing at the list. We decided to stick it out for a while by hanging out in the lobby areas and ducking back inside the rooms when we wanted a beer. That seemed to work better. We were actually able to have a conversation and it cooled off enough to get us below the threshold of spontaneous human combustion. Here are some of my thoughts:

I don't know if it sold out, but there were waaaaaaay too many people. Justin, please raise the price and lower the number of tickets sold. I'd gladly pay more for a better experience. It's good to be a little exclusive.

The beer list was excellent, but I wish the VIP-only beers (were they in the mezzanine area?) would have been listed as such to avoid disappointment.

Ben Franklin was good and very much in character.

I guess being 53 makes me an old fart. I like music loud enough to peel the paint off the walls. I like beer. However, they don't go together. Please move the bands away from the beer (or put duplicate taps with the band), or put the band outside so I can carry on a conversation with my friends without my ears bleeding.

Like I said, maybe I'm getting old. Perhaps I should seek out smaller, more intimate preconference events at future conferences. However, when I registered for the BNA8, events like the Rogue take-over at the Eulogy Bar had yet to be posted.

Please feel free to comment further or critique my critique.
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Re: BNA 8 Critique

Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:55 am

I'll bite. Your worst fears would have been mine as well & I agree wholeheartedly. If the music's that loud, I only expect the bartender to read my lips, "P... B... R". I've been to a place for a band, I've been to a place for a beer. I've never done both at the same time.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:48 pm

I had a vip ticket and I couldn't attend, but after your review I'm okay that I missed it.

I hate going to bars and listening to loud music. I can do that at home with my wife (I enjoy just looking at her) my fiends not so much. I go out to talk and hangout, some background music is fine, but I don't want to sit there and have to yell to people.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore as people now text message people that are at the same table as them anyway. :asshat:
NervousDad

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:06 pm

NervousDad wrote:I had a vip ticket and I couldn't attend, but after your review I'm okay that I missed it.

I hate going to bars and listening to loud music. I can do that at home with my wife (I enjoy just looking at her) my fiends not so much. I go out to talk and hangout, some background music is fine, but I don't want to sit there and have to yell to people.

I guess it doesn't matter anymore as people now text message people that are at the same table as them anyway. :asshat:

I should have mentioned they had an acoustic guy singing. He wasn't bad, didn't detract from the event.
"Well...I woke up this morning, and I got myself a beer."
-Jim Morrison, "Road House Blues"
Guido

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:28 pm

I have to agree with some of what you said. Growing up in the country, I hate crowds. When I first got there at 7:30 ish, it was crowded as hell, loud (The Trophy Fire was playing), and getting a beer took a while.

Things seemed to settle a bit as the night went on, where I spent the rest of the evening on the floor (standing, not lying :mrgreen:) grabbing beers from the tables and listening to the School of Rock band. Those kids kicked some serious ass!!!

When the night was over, I loved being so close to the city, we skipped the bus and walked back into town and stopped at Nottinghead for late dinner. I wish there was food to purchase instead of pretzels and chips. I didn't have time for dinner since I was running the bus for the Dogfish Head tour.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:51 pm

Maybe a meet and greet before the party for a limited number of folks! Or call it the bay boomers bash. We grew up with what we thought was loud music..ha! This bangin club music, low lighting with or without the flashing lights is enough to give anyone an evil hangover without touching a drop.
I'll take halfway decent James Taylor covers every time if there is good beer!

We're not old, we just know better NOW.
Beer, what all good things are built upon!
Primary:
Lagering:
On tap: Wharfside Porter
On tap: Braw Jock
Planning: Sanguinity Amber Ale, Lauging Parrot Pale Ale, and Screaming Parrot IPA
brewindruid

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:23 pm

brewindruid wrote:Maybe a meet and greet before the party for a limited number of folks! Or call it the bay boomers bash. We grew up with what we thought was loud music..ha! This bangin club music, low lighting with or without the flashing lights is enough to give anyone an evil hangover without touching a drop.
I'll take halfway decent James Taylor covers every time if there is good beer!

We're not old, we just know better NOW.

The sad part for me is that my parents are baby boomers... & I used to tour/play with punk & death metal bands. Like Guido said, I don't mind the loud music, but it has a time & place. If I was going to something like BNA8, I'd be more focused on talking with the forum junkies & experiencing the beer. If I wanted to blast my ears out with music & communicate with gestures/lip reading, I'd buy concert tickets. Just the opinion of someone who didn't go, & generally commenting on the thread of course.

Can we call it the Baby Boomer/Gen X Bash so I can come hang out with you old farts?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:51 pm

Just for the recond I'ma semi-young fart. 36 :D
NervousDad

Next

Return to Beer Events