2013 Midwinter Home Brew Competition

Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:46 am

Hello fellow Home Brewers!

The Beer Barons of Milwaukee are very pleased to announce the fourth annual Midwinter Home Brew Competition will be taking place on February 15th and 16th, 2013. This competition is held in conjunction with the 16th annual Midwinter Brew Fest at the Milwaukee Ale House, and is a circuit qualifying event for both the Master Championship of Amateur Brewers (MCAB) and the Midwest Home Brewer of the Year. The competition will be limited to 800 entries.

Participant, judging, and steward registration for the competition will be coordinated through the web site at http://midwinterhbc.beerbarons.org. Entries will be accepted December 29th through February 2nd at 11 different locations in WI, IL, & MN. Shipped entries should be sent to Northern Brewer in West Allis, WI. Please refer to the web site for drop off location cut off dates and addresses.

1st, 2nd, & 3rd place awards will be issued for each category. Each award will consist of a medal and a gift certificate to Northern Brewer (Gold - $25, Silver - $15, Bronze - $10). Beer Best of Show, Beer Best of Show Runner-Up, and Mead / Cider Best of Show will receive engraved barrel head awards. Also, one of the winning Brown Ale entries (BJCP categories 10C, 11B, or 11C) will be chosen to be ramped up by the Milwaukee Brewing Company for serving at the Milwaukee Ale House.

Awards will be announced and presented to participants at Revere’s Wells Street Tavern on February 16th at 8:00 PM central time. Results will be posted to the competition website shortly after the conclusion of the awards ceremony.

Additional details can be found on the competition web site, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+ pages. Information regarding judging and stewarding opportunities will be posted shortly. Please pass this information on to your fellow home brewing friends and direct any inquiries to the Contact page on the registration page at http://midwinterhbc.beerbarons.org/inde ... on=contact

Thanks and best of luck to all that enter! - MWHBC Organizing Committee
Prosit, Sláinte, Salute, Na Zdravi, Cheers! - Bruce Buerger
Beer Barons of Milwaukee - beerbarons.org & worldofbeerfestival.com
Coordinator - Midwinter & Schnapp Hans Cup Homebrew Competitions
bbbrew.com
buergermeister75

Re: 2013 Midwinter Home Brew Competition

Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:54 pm

Registration is now open!
bbbrew.com
buergermeister75

Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 am

I'm entering 3 ( 2 beers and a mead ). According to your site, it looks like you are 1/4 of the way to filling up.

Do you have any idea how NB is storing the entries? I can send mine right away but I don't want them to site in a warm storeroom until the judging date. Otherwise I'll send them closer to the cutoff date.

Thanks.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:39 pm

Yes entries are filling up at a faster pace than last year. Unless something drastically changes we're on pace to hit our entry cap before the registration period ends on February 2nd.

All entries get moved to Northern Brewer's basement at the end of the day. The basement is cellar temp (concrete walls, no sun light, in the dead of a Wisconsin Winter). No warm storage rooms, we made sure of that when selecting a storage and sorting facility. Starting last year we began using the CW Crates to store and transport the entries in an effort to help minimize the risk of breakage and exposure to light. There are some photos on our Facebook and Google+ pages if you'd like to take a look there.

You should have no worries. I'd also advise sending them in sooner rather than later in the event that there is some kind of winter storm that hampers transportation and logistics (i.e. east coast 2010 :shock: ).
bbbrew.com
buergermeister75

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:00 am

My entries are going on the UPS truck today and should arrive by end of day Tuesday. Looks like there's still a few spots available for entries if anyone is interested.

Go luck with the comp...hopefully my bottles don't freeze on the way there...
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Yes we do have spots open but they are filling up rather quickly. Thank you and good luck to you in the competition!

Followup from previous post - It's about 60 degrees F in our storage location.
bbbrew.com
buergermeister75

Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:57 am

I'll be bottling my entry today or tomorrow.
12stones

Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:14 am

buergermeister75 wrote:Followup from previous post - It's about 60 degrees F in our storage location.

Great...that'll give them a chance to thaw after they get off the UPS truck. Damn it's cold!
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Beer Events