Re: My 1554 recipe X-File

Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:42 am

After searching the web for a 1554 recipe and finding this thread (no doubt, the largest collection of information about brewing this beer anywhere), I decided to try my hand at it last month. It's now on tap here at home, so I wanted to post some info here in the event others may find it useful. Here is the recipe I used (for 5 gallons):

5.0 lbs dark Munich malt (20L)
4.5 lbs Briess pale malt
10 oz Briess dextrine malt (2L)
8 oz Briess Victory malt (25L)
8 oz Briess 60 L crystal
6 oz Dingeman's Belgian carapils (7L)
4 oz Briess 120 L crystal
4 oz Weyerman's Carafa I (~325L, de-husked)
4 oz Weyerman's Carafa III (~525L, de-husked)
0.67 oz Chinook at 12.5% AA (75 min)
1 tbsp of 5.2 buffer powder (I use this in all my brews)
White Labs 833 Bock yeast slurry from previous batch

I used ProMash to hone the color, gravity, and IBU numbers, while trying to follow the handful of advice nuggets posted here from correspondence with NB staff. Mash ran about 60 minutes at 152F, boil was about 75 minutes, and wort was cooled via immersion chiller to 68F. OG in the primary fermenter was 1.056.

I pitched about 500 mL of yeast slurry collected from a batch brewed earlier this year. Following the suggestion to use a lager yeast at ale temp, I fermented the batch in the basement where the ambient was between 65-68F. The fermentation had the vigor and duration characteristic of an ale, with activity quickly peaking and beginning to decline after a few days.

FG after a couple weeks in the primary was 1.018, at which point I moved the batch into a corny keg to chill and carbonate. This FG was a little higher than I expected, resulting in a little lower ABV than planned (about 5%), but the beer did have a nice creamy mouthfeel to show for it.

Following a couple weeks of cold conditioning, sampling reveals the following. Color is blacker than the NB version, more or less like a stout but not quite as opaque. Aroma is dominated by fruity esters and sweet malt, with subtle hints of roasted grain. Flavor is well-balanced between malt and hops with notes of bittersweet chocolate, over a somewhat creamy body, all fading into a smooth finish. One observation is that the de-husked Carafa malt imparted bready chocolate notes (think chocolate muffin) without the familiar coffee-like bitterness typical of grains this dark. This was largely responsible for the smoothness of the finish.

Overall this beer turned out to be something like a nice, lightweight cream stout, but not all that close to NB1554 itself. If I were to attempt a clone again, I would cut back a little on the roasted grains to lighten up the color a bit, and to push the chocolate notes a little further into the background where I feel they are in the NB version. There is also a subtle tartness or twang in the NB version that’s missing here. I thought the unique fermentation situation might produce this, but it didn’t really show up in my version; if anything I think it resulted in the big ester nose. To try to get this tartness, I would consider just using a clean ale yeast and supplement with a few percent acid malt, or alternatively, try a Belgian yeast. Finally, I did not include any grains of paradise or other spice in this version, something I might try next time for additional complexity.

If anyone else brews a clone, please reply with your experiences. In the meantime, here’s to the folks at New Belgium for their unique and tasty beers!

Cheers,
Aron Butler
Ann Arbor, MI
adbutler

Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:49 pm

I know there hasn't been any activity on this thread in a while but I wanted to see if there was any new results for the 1554 clone. I love this beer and have come up with a recipe based upon this thread.

I am fairly new to brewing so any suggestions would be helpful.

Type: All Grain
Date: 06/12/2009
Batch Size: 5.25 gal
Boil Size: 7.23 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (15.5 gal) and Cooler (50 qt)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
7.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 62.22 %
3.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 26.67 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.67 %
0.25 lb Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 2.22 %
0.50 oz Magnum [15.10 %] (60 min) Hops 25.8 IBU
5.25 gal Denver, Colorado Water
1 Pkgs Bavarian Lager (Wyeast Labs #2206) Yeast-Lager

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.055 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.41 %
Bitterness: 25.8 IBU Calories: 237 cal/pint
Est Color: 23.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion,Light-Medium Body, Batch Sparge Total Grain Weight: 11.25 lb
Sparge Water: 4.81 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 172.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE Mash PH: 5.4 PH

Single Infusion,Light-Medium Body, Batch Sparge Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 14.06 qt of water at 166.9 F 152.0 F

I hope to be brewing this tomorrow. I will give an update on how it turns out.

I am only using one yeast pack. I did notice where someone was suggesting two and a starter. This is only a 5.25 gallon batch so I wouldn't think 2 would be necessary....unless you would typically need more with a lager yeast??
Primary 1:
Primary 2:
Secondary: Pale Ale
Secondary: Azorean Oktoberfest (in fridge)

Aging: Stout, Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon, 1554 clone, Brehm 2007 Columbia Gorge Pinot Grigio

Drinking: Cream Ale, Australian Shiraz, CHILEAN CHARDONNAY
wheelerc6

Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:30 am

I wonder if Jamil would take this on as a Can You Brew It challenge?

I am going to attempt to brew this beer this weekend. I'll post my recipe and my results in this thread.

The 1554 is one of my "go to" beers.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:27 pm

Correction to my earlier post. I used the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast.

Brew day went nice. The color of the wort was a nice dark chocolate with some red. I am really excited about this beer. The wort was very tasty with hints of chocolate and coffee but was not bitter at all.

My preboil SG was 1.042. According to beersmith this was a little low (supposed to be 1.045) but according to another calculator I found on the internet this preboil SG would equal 1.058 as the pitching SG. I only care about this because I am new to all grain and am trying to adjust my brew efficiency. Currently I think it is about 70% with batch sparging. I would like to get this higher so I might try fly sparging next time.

As I stated above I did use the lager yeast wyeast 2124. I pitched at 72*. 12 hours later and it was bubbling nicely at a temp of 70*. The ambient temperature of my fermenation area is 64* so it was generating a pretty good bit of heat! I was a little scared of this temp with the yeast so I placed the carboy in a tub with water and a towel that drapes over the carboy. The temp now is around 63 (aprox 20 hours after pitching). I am hoping the cooler temps make it a nice clean, crisp beer with little esters and no sulfur. I did contact wyeast and they responded within a couple of hours. The website stated the lager yeast 2124 could be "Also used for pseudo ale production with fermentation at 75º" and the reply to my question reinforces what the website states.

Email reply:

Using 2124 at higher, ale fermentation, temps will not produce any off flavors and aromas comparable to those found in Belgian beers. 2124 will maintain lager like character even at temps up to 75oF.

I plan on fermenting in the primary for 10 days in the low 60's. I will then move over to the secondary for another 2 weeks, lager for 4 weeks at 45*.

If anyone has any suggestions on improving my process please let me know. I have only been brewing for 3 months and could use any help that is offered!

Cheers from Denver!
Primary 1:
Primary 2:

Aging: Stout, Sonoma Cabernet Sauvignon, 1554 clone, Brehm 2007 Columbia Gorge Pinot Grigio

wheelerc6

Re:

Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:57 pm

seanhagerty wrote:I did brew an attempt at a 1554 clone. I got to say this was a good schwarzbier, but I thought I had too much of the dark malt flavor from the black patent.

Agreed!

My recipe had the following:
6.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 52.17 %
3.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 26.09 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
0.25 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %
0.25 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 2.17 %

0.75 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 34.8 IBU
plus plus a few additions after brewday started....

At the Betty Crocker's for Men, everyone liked it but on one placed it close to the 1554. Also, Jamil's schwerzbier recipe produced a better schwarzbier than my attempt at the 1554. With dat said. This recipe produced a beer that was lighter in color than 1554 - even after making "last minute additions". Also, the head color was never even close.

I would definitely take out the black malt and use the darkest debittered malt out there.... http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/ ... ed&x=0&y=0 Closer to 3-4%????
I'm thinking of trying the chocolate rye[250 SRM ] at .25 lbs as well instead of the straight Chocolate Malt.
http://www.weyermann.de/eng/produkte.as ... &sprache=2
2-3%???
I completely forgot about this thread ... thanks for bringing it back to life as I ride out to Idaho for my 1554!

And so that I don't have to make 2 posts>>>
Thank you AHA, fellow Utahan heathens and everyone else that helped making Home brewing legal in Utah!!! I now brew on the front lawn every Sunday Morning......
Fixedgearbeer

Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:55 pm

HopRunner wrote:I wonder if Jamil would take this on as a Can You Brew It challenge?

+1 This one of my wife's favorites

:aaron
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline- it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa
ddgbrewing

Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:45 am

Last night the 1554 clone I brewed smelled like farts...bad. This was the first time I had this smell from a fermentation. I am hoping it is from the lager yeast and not a bad bacteria.

Temp is still around 62* and it is bubbling away. Hopefully the smell will be eaten away by all of the little yeasts!
Primary 1:
Primary 2:

wheelerc6

Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 am

OK, here's what I've got. Recipe subject to change...

OG 1.061
FG 1.015
IBU 28
SRM 39
ABV 5.9

72.7 % 10.0 American Two-row Pale
14.5 % 2.00 Munich Light
3.6 % 0.50 Belgian Carapils
5.5 % 0.75 German Carafa Special
1.8 % 0.25 American Black Patent
1.8 % 0.25 American Chocolate

.5 Magnum @ 60
.5 Mt Hood @ 60

Yeast - WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend. I've been wanting to try this blend for a long time.

Fermentation - 62-65F

I am going to buy another bottle of 1554 on the way home tonight and mull it over a bit more before buying my ingredients for this weekend.
PFC BN Army - Tactical Hop Command
Fermenting - Kolsch, Blonde Ale
Kegged: Flanders Brown
Aging: Brown Lambic, Chocolate Porter
President and Chief Bottle Washer - HopRunner Brewing
~Ross
HopRunner

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles