Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Thu May 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Here's a recipe from the latest BYO for a Rye Saison:

OG = 1.056 FG = 1.008
IBU = 31 SRM = 5 ABV = 6.3

9lb. 11oz. US 6-Row
1lb. 11 oz. Flaked Rye
9oz. Turbinado sugar
.56oz Nugget 13% AA for 60 minutes
.25oz Amarillo 8.9% AA for 15 minutes
.25oz Centennial 9.5% AA for 15 minutes
.5oz Amarillo at 0 minutes
.5oz Centennial at 0 minuts
Wyeast 3726 (Farmhouse Ale)

Mash at 149

I think that recipe looks delicious.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
User avatar
BeaverBarber
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Sat May 25, 2013 7:00 pm

BeaverBarber wrote:Here's a recipe from the latest BYO for a Rye Saison:

OG = 1.056 FG = 1.008
IBU = 31 SRM = 5 ABV = 6.3

9lb. 11oz. US 6-Row
1lb. 11 oz. Flaked Rye
9oz. Turbinado sugar
.56oz Nugget 13% AA for 60 minutes
.25oz Amarillo 8.9% AA for 15 minutes
.25oz Centennial 9.5% AA for 15 minutes
.5oz Amarillo at 0 minutes
.5oz Centennial at 0 minuts
Wyeast 3726 (Farmhouse Ale)

Mash at 149

I think that recipe looks delicious.



Damn that recipe does look good! Thanks for posting it, i will try that one soon.
Hello, Who's this?!
RiggsSpiltMyDrank
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: So Cal (Fontana)

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Sat May 25, 2013 7:15 pm

So if anyone is interested with what I came up with, here it is:

48.9% California Pale malt
26.7% Rye malt
6.7% White wheat malt
4.4% Munich
8.9% Rice hulls
4.4% Dextrose

Hop additions:
.50 oz. (10.0%) Centennial @ 60 min
1.00 oz (12.0%) Citra @ 5 min
1.00 oz (13.0%) Simcoe @ 5 min
2.00 oz (12.0%) Citra @ WP
2.00 oz (13.0%) Simcoe @ WP
8.00 oz (10-15%) El Dorado flowers for 5 days
8.00 oz (10-15%) El Dorado flowers for 4 days

Yeast:

WLP565, WLP566, WLP550

Est. OG: 1.065
Est. FG: 1.010
Est. ABV: 7.3%
Est. SRM: 5.2
Hello, Who's this?!
RiggsSpiltMyDrank
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: So Cal (Fontana)

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Sun May 26, 2013 6:29 am

That recipe looks solid...and expensive. Everything is added with a purpose. How big was the batch? Let us know how it turns out.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
User avatar
BeaverBarber
 
Posts: 324
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:19 am
Location: San Antonio, TX

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:29 pm

BeaverBarber wrote:That recipe looks solid...and expensive. Everything is added with a purpose. How big was the batch? Let us know how it turns out.


Well I didn't actually end up using a full pound of El Dorado flowers, only used 1/4 lb, still a lot for 5 gallon batch. I mashed at 149-150 degrees for 75 minutes. I had a gravity reading of 1.008 at 6 days of fermentation. I am hoping it drops another 2-4 points for FG. will be kegging and force carbing this on Sunday. Entering a local contest on the 15th, BOS style.
Hello, Who's this?!
RiggsSpiltMyDrank
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:20 pm
Location: So Cal (Fontana)

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:49 am

Looks good! I like the shit ton usage of hops at whirlpool and dry.
The aroma should be GREAT!
Just remember to compensate a bit on batch size 'cause them hops drink up some beer!
I'm sick of chasing my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're going and hook up with them later.
tlael
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:58 am
Location: Belleville, IL

Re: American Saison Anyone heard of this?

Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:21 am

RiggsSpiltMyDrank wrote:
BeaverBarber wrote:That recipe looks solid...and expensive. Everything is added with a purpose. How big was the batch? Let us know how it turns out.


Well I didn't actually end up using a full pound of El Dorado flowers, only used 1/4 lb, still a lot for 5 gallon batch. I mashed at 149-150 degrees for 75 minutes. I had a gravity reading of 1.008 at 6 days of fermentation. I am hoping it drops another 2-4 points for FG. will be kegging and force carbing this on Sunday. Entering a local contest on the 15th, BOS style.

How did this beer turn out? Epsecially all that El Dorado DH. Did the yeast character still come through? I looked for that hop when I made my large hop supply purchase early in the year but could'nt find it.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
User avatar
scotchpine
 
Posts: 632
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:14 am
Location: Rock Hill S.C.

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot]

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.