Too fruity/floral IPA. Kettle hops or dry hop problem?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:57 pm

I am working on a house IPA that is coming out too fruity and floral. I am doing all late boil additions, a whirlpool, and dry hopping but don't know where the problem is coming from. I am fermenting at 65 degrees (wort temp) so I don't thinkit's esters. But it seems like no matter what I do in the dryhop, the fruity/floral aromas are always there. If the beer sits in the glass undisturbed, you can smell the dry hop combo. But if swirled, that fruitiness comes right out.

The hops lineup is a bunch of C hops. Anyone have any experience with this happening? Is it yeast derived, or hops? If hops, I assume it is coming from the late additions or whirlpool, right? Would raising the ferm temp decrease fruitiness? Seems to go against everything I've read.
rcognition

Re: Too fruity/floral IPA. Kettle hops or dry hop problem?

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:06 pm

Specifically, what C hops are you using? What yeast?
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:13 pm

I have tried with 1056 and US-05. Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus. I am dry hopping with Simcoe, Columbus, Chinook.
rcognition

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:33 pm

Are you oxygenating well? Are you pitching a sufficient quantity of happy, healthy yeast? Are you sure your thermometer monitoring fermentation temperature is calibrated?

Can you be more specific about the fruity flavor? Grapefruit? Tropical fruit? Apple, pear, green apple?
siwelwerd

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Post the recipe.
hoodie

Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:42 pm

I use an oxygen tank and pitch at least normal levels of yeast. I did two packs of US-05 and somewhere around 250-300 billion cells of the 1056. I have a digital probe on the carboy, insulated and well adhered. I also monitor a separate liquid in the chamber that is not undergoing fermentation and always cooler than what the temp probe reads.

The fruity taste isn't bad. It's not apple or pear. It's more grapefruity, tropical, floral.

Recipe is just pale malt, a pound of white wheat and c-20 for color. It's 1.067-1.014.

Bitter with Warrior at 60 minutes
Then 0.5 ounce Centennial at 10 minutes
Then 0.5 each of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus at 5 minutes
Then whirlpool for 20 minutes with 1/2 ounce of Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, and 1 ounce of Simcoe.

Dryhop is 1 ounce of Simcoe, 0.5 Columbus, 0.5 Chinook.
rcognition

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm

Sounds delicious. Maybe eliminate the 5 min addition. Maybe the 10 too. Or just cut them back. The dry hops will give you more in the way of aroma, and dry hop/fresh hop flavor.
hoodie

Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

rcognition wrote:The fruity taste isn't bad. It's not apple or pear. It's more grapefruity, tropical, floral.
Bitter with Warrior at 60 minutes
Then 0.5 ounce Centennial at 10 minutes
Then 0.5 each of Cascade, Chinook, Columbus at 5 minutes
Then whirlpool for 20 minutes with 1/2 ounce of Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Columbus, and 1 ounce of Simcoe.

Dryhop is 1 ounce of Simcoe, 0.5 Columbus, 0.5 Chinook.

From HopUnion's Hop Handbook Guide...

Centennial - "Medium intensity, floral and citrus tones."
Cascade - "Medium intensity, floral, citrus and grapefruit."
Chinook - "Medium intensity, spicy, piney and distinct with subtle tones of grapefruit."
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles