Re: First lager attempt

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:14 am

BrewerAdam wrote:When doing a starter for a lager should it be on the stir plate at lager (55) temp or is it fine at room temp (70)? I'm assuming a room temp and then you crash it and dump the beer before pitching the slurry?

Keep in mind the whole purpose of a starter is to "grow" up your yeast cell count for proper pitching rates. With that being said, you can do your lager strain starters a bit cooler than ale starters (65-70F is fine). Just be sure to crash cool them when they are done fermenting out the starter and decant and pitch just the grown up slurry.

But, like Snowcapt is doing, if you plan on pitching an active starter at high krausen, then just be sure that the starter is close to the same temperature of the wort you are going to pitch it into so as not to shock your yeast.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:53 pm

EL TIZZO wrote:what bdawg said in addition to just be patient...the damn things are slow...give each step along the way time to finish including a good lagering phase...the longer you can wait the better it will get...i swear on every lager i've made the last few pints of the keg were the best

If it doesn't appear to be bubbling after a 48-60 hours, should I be concerned. Also, I pitched without a starter, just straight from the packet (Dry). I've managed to keep the temperature around 54F but I do not have any temp control. This is also my first time lagering. Any tips to resurrect? more yeast in secondary?
Apostrofides Brewing

On Tap: Holiday Ale
Fermenting: Belgian Lager
Up Next: High Gravity Blonde
Apostrofides

Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:08 pm

what dry yeast strain did you use? Did you add any oxygen when pitching your yeast? 2 packs probably would've been a better pitch rate for your lager rather than one that has not been rehydrated.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles