Re: Who is going to post the Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone?

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 am

Doesn't Tasty have a Celebration clone recipe on here somewhere?
On tap 1: Dry Irish
On tap 2: El Jefeweizen
On tap 3: Vienna
kegged: Rye Amber, Belgian Dark Strong, CYBI Mirror Pond, Irish Red, RIS
lagering: Vienna, Helles, Cream Ale, CAP
Field

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 am

On tap 1: Dry Irish
On tap 2: El Jefeweizen
On tap 3: Vienna
kegged: Rye Amber, Belgian Dark Strong, CYBI Mirror Pond, Irish Red, RIS
lagering: Vienna, Helles, Cream Ale, CAP
Field

Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:33 am

My recipe is my clone attempt of the 1999 release. I've tasted mine side by side with recent years and it's redder, has good mothtfeel but doesn't have the SN mouthfeel, and seems more complex, probably from the C120. We discussed the recipe on the Jamil American IPA Show: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/American-IPA-The-Jamil-Show-07-02-07 Here's the recipe: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/SN_Celebration_Ale_-2008_NHC_3rd_Place_2nd_round.html

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:18 pm

This is what I came up with from my notes:

Vol: 5.3 gal
OG: 1.069
IBU: 68
SRM: 10.0
Eff: 75%

12.5 lb Pale 2-row US
1.00 lb Crystal 60L

1.5 oz Chinook 90 min

1 oz Cascade 10 min
.5 oz Centenniel 10 min

1 oz Cascade 0 min
.5 oz Centenniel 0 min

1 oz Cascade (dry hop)
.5 oz Centenniel (dry hop)

When I formulated this I stuck strictly to what Steve said about the brew. This recipe hits the numbers: But! I do not think that it is going to have that pretty red color I see on the SN blurb page. I'm sorely tempted to sub some CaraRed, roasted barley and C120 for the crystal 60, ala Pasquinelli's Irish Red, cause I know I can make a pretty red color with that.

I like the look of Tasty's recipe better. It looks, er...., tasty! And the more brews I get under my belt the less I am concerned with cloning a beer. What's in the Corny is more important.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:55 am

I just sampled my SN Celebration Clone using the recipe given out by Steve Dressler. I followed the recipe to the letter, but after my initial tasting (pre-carbonation, after 7 day dry hop) it does not resemble SN Celebration. Doesn't have the SN taste or mouth feel. I get a big Cascade flavor and aroma, but my memory of SN Celebration is that there is more of a malt flavor with hops than what I get which is mostly hops, med/thin mouth feel.

I still have to filter and carbonate, my sample was full of yeast and floating hop matter, so maybe things will change a bit, but I may need to follow Tasty's version of the recipe to dial it in.

Was even thinking of re-brewing and culturing up the SN Pale Ale or Celebration yeast (when its released) to see if I can capture more of the SN House flavor.
I
breyton

Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:06 am

I did this one too. I think I got pretty damn close.

I didn't get a chance to dry hop, so I'm missing that element to it. I needed that BB, for my fresh hop beer. I'm not dry hopping in the keg either, I always get floating chunks of hops when I do.

I also didn't cool it quickly, instead I recirculated for about 20 minutes then chilled (trying to get more flavor and aroma simulating what a lot of craft brewers do with whirlpool). I think that caused it to get a little too bitter. Next time I'll back off the bittering hops by 10-15%.

I still think about 80-90% there. I didn't really set out to absolutely nail it, I just wanted to do something close. Just in following the recipe, I'm amazed that I got that color and flavor just from C60. It was also nerve racking to mash that high, but I did finish right were I should. I really like this one.
yellowthere

Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 am

Its tough to remember exactly what Celebration tastes like not having a commercial example to compare it too. I doubt I will have any left in my kegs once the the 2010 Celebration hits the stores. Maybe I am closer than I think... Memory is tough to go on when judging something so subjective. Cloned or not, its still a great beer.
I
breyton

Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Yeah man, I know what you mean. Who the hell knows how well I remember it?
yellowthere

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles