Re: Who is going to post the Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone?

Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:20 pm

Before the show aired I emailed SN for the clone. They ga e me the same recipe. I have brewed it a couple times. Make sure you use British crystal malt and not American. It makes ALL the difference.
Westco

Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 pm

I've always used Wy 1272 and mashed lower when trying to clone Celebration. I'll try a change.

This is what I worked out and will try as soon as my basement hits 60F.

http://webpages.charter.net/fredaskp/Sierra_Nevada_Celebration_Ale_2010_clone.html
FlatWaterBrewer

Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:45 am

Westco wrote:Before the show aired I emailed SN for the clone. They ga e me the same recipe. I have brewed it a couple times. Make sure you use British crystal malt and not American. It makes ALL the difference.

SN Celebration should be coming out in the next few weeks, so i should have my answer soon. I used American Crystal this time, but will try English Crystal next batch.
I
breyton

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:20 am

Last week my local pub had it listed on their 'tapping next' list, hope to try some over the weekend.
Tasty's recipe is 2nd in line on my brewing schedule!
dminnery

Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:43 am

One thing Steve said that was very important is that he uses an English crystal malt. He says the English crystal was an important part of character and color development. He didn't say the brand.

Jamil has said many times that American crystals do not replicate English crystals. You can get an English flavor using American crystals, but it's not a 1:1 substitution. I would definitely make sure to use an English crystal if you're following the recipe exactly.
EGADS! 3 MONTHS WITHOUT BREWING? MOVING YOU SUCK.... NEVER AGAIN

In Kegerator - Hopfen Weiss, Best Bitter
In Primary - Baby Baine Barleywine
Next up: Petite Saison
thatguy314

Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:05 pm

so....
bkov

Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:59 pm

TastyMcD wrote:My recipe is my clone attempt of the 1999 release. I've tasted mine side by side with recent years and it's redder, has good mothtfeel but doesn't have the SN mouthfeel, and seems more complex, probably from the C120. We discussed the recipe on the Jamil American IPA Show: http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/American-IPA-The-Jamil-Show-07-02-07 Here's the recipe: http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/SN_Celebration_Ale_-2008_NHC_3rd_Place_2nd_round.html

Tasty

Tasty,

I have brewed yours and I believe that I liked it better but SNs wasn't released yet for a side by side, hence why I made it :) Anyways, I have several people said they like this one better, definately had more flavors going on with all those late hops.
maxpower2078

Re: Who is going to post the Sierra Nevada Celebration Clone

Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:16 am

I decided to bump this after seeing the article in BYO with this recipe.... Couple of questions....
1. Is Celebration really mashed that high (157F)? This year does not seem like you get the sweetness out of such a high mash
2. Previous recipe on here only call for 60 hop addition, but the BYO article is calling for 2 100 minute additions.
I suppose they may have change the recipe, but BYO just seems off to me as I am tasting the beer. Any thoughts?

OG 1.064
FG 1.016
IBU 65
SRM 12
ABV 6.8

12.5 lbs US 2-Row
15 oz. Crystal 60 (Assume British based on the interview with Steve)
.75 oz Chinook 100 Minute (12% AA)
.50 oz Centennial 100 Minute (10% AA)
1.5 oz Cascade 10 Minute (5% AA)
.66 oz Centennial 0 Minute (10%AA)
1.3 oz Cascade 0 Minute (5% AA)
.66 oz Centennial Dry Hop (10%AA)
1.3 oz Cascade Dry Hop (5% AA)

Mash in at 157F and hold for 60 Minutes. Ferment at 68F.
mbischoff63

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles