Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 am

Thanks Tasty, it rocks that you take time to respond to questions here!
Private First Class - Philly Division

Drinking:
Tasty APA
DFH 60 Min
CYBI Dad's Little Helper
Black Velveteen - Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting:
Barleywine
Lagering:
Notta
Next up:
brews for NHC
In the Funkhouse:
empty
atomicpunk
 
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:20 pm
Location: Plymouth Meeting, PA

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:09 pm

TastyMcD wrote:I usually cool-in at 66F and immediately let it rise to 68F where it sits for about 3 days. Then I'll raise it about a degree per day until it's up to 72F.

Tasty


While i know that you use a conical, I want an indication that my three days is your three days and why. So you raise it to do a diacetyl rest. Right? And if your three days is the same as mine at the same temps, it will reassure my starter procedure, well somewhat.

I find that pretty much at three days my foam crashes. Well four days from brewing, 3.5 from activity. It's still there but all the air escaped. The body of the fermenter looks the same, but nothing is moving. Cloudy, dank, dingy. No settling. Am I close? I don't have a hydrometer reading just my eye. I guess its the carboy vs conical thing.

Seriously, anything that you see or even smell will help. See I'm going to try a big lager soon so I really need to know that what and what-nots.

TIA
yinzer
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:41 am

yinzer wrote:
TastyMcD wrote:I usually cool-in at 66F and immediately let it rise to 68F where it sits for about 3 days. Then I'll raise it about a degree per day until it's up to 72F.

Tasty


While i know that you use a conical, I want an indication that my three days is your three days and why. So you raise it to do a diacetyl rest. Right? And if your three days is the same as mine at the same temps, it will reassure my starter procedure, well somewhat.

I find that pretty much at three days my foam crashes. Well four days from brewing, 3.5 from activity. It's still there but all the air escaped. The body of the fermenter looks the same, but nothing is moving. Cloudy, dank, dingy. No settling. Am I close? I don't have a hydrometer reading just my eye. I guess its the carboy vs conical thing.

Seriously, anything that you see or even smell will help. See I'm going to try a big lager soon so I really need to know that what and what-nots.

TIA

It sounds like you're ferment is fairly normal and complete except for the very important clean-up phase. The yeast will drop out as they complete their clean-up work and the beer should become clear. Don't artificially shorten this clean-up phase. The yeast will fix all the problems they created if you give them the time.

I raise the temperature to maintain the fermentation activity and to encourage the yeast to remain active while they clean-up the beer. I cool-in to restrain the ferment in the beginning so that I get a longer, more even, low ester, less yeast stressing ferment.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
User avatar
TastyMcD
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:14 pm

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:48 am

TastyMcD wrote:It sounds like you're ferment is fairly normal and complete except for the very important clean-up phase. The yeast will drop out as they complete their clean-up work and the beer should become clear. Don't artificially shorten this clean-up phase. The yeast will fix all the problems they created if you give them the time.

I raise the temperature to maintain the fermentation activity and to encourage the yeast to remain active while they clean-up the beer. I cool-in to restrain the ferment in the beginning so that I get a longer, more even, low ester, less yeast stressing ferment.

Tasty


Thanks!!! I'll make that adjustment

I'm listing to the dry hop show and you just went over that. But it's good to get the clarification on not letting the yeast drop. Makes sense. And I guess that the same works for lagers, but just more expanded time-frame.
yinzer
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:27 am

Was wondering what the CL to SO4 ratio was in the water. Also I know you start with harder water than me so is this ok because I can't add any more calcium chloride or gypsum because my Calcium and Chloride ratio are already high. But somehow I need to increase SO4 more which I think is a little out of the question with my water profile. Check it out, thanks guys.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 8.9
Mg: 1
Na: 6.8
Cl: 4
SO4: 2
CaCO3: 17.5

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4 / 4
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 16
Non-Roasted Spec. Grain: 1.25
Roasted Grain: 0.5
Beer Color (SRM): 20.1

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 5 / 5
CaCl2: 2 / 2
MgSO4: 2 / 2
NaHCO3: 0.5 / 0.5
NaCl: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 120 / 120
Mg: 13 / 13
Na: 16 / 16
Cl: 68 / 68
SO4: 238 / 238
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.28 / 0.28

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 37
RA: -56
Estimated pH: 5.07
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”


Primary:
Secondary: JZ Russian Imperial Stout.
Bottled: JZ Russian Imperial Stout, JZ Munich Helles. Tasty Janet Brown
Adam78K
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:08 am

Janet's Brown Janet's Brown Janet's Brown Janet's Brown
Mini roll out
yep yup yep yup

:asshat:
User avatar
Quin
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Rayville, Louisiana

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:43 pm

anyone?
“Drinking beer doesn't make you fat, It makes you lean....
Against bars, tables, chairs, and poles.”


Primary:
Secondary: JZ Russian Imperial Stout.
Bottled: JZ Russian Imperial Stout, JZ Munich Helles. Tasty Janet Brown
Adam78K
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:16 pm
Location: Seattle WA

Re: Tasty's Janet's Brown

Fri Mar 04, 2011 9:45 am

Adam78K wrote:anyone?

Adam78K wrote:Was wondering what the CL to SO4 ratio was in the water. Also I know you start with harder water than me so is this ok because I can't add any more calcium chloride or gypsum because my Calcium and Chloride ratio are already high. But somehow I need to increase SO4 more which I think is a little out of the question with my water profile. Check it out, thanks guys.

Starting Water (ppm):
Ca: 8.9
Mg: 1
Na: 6.8
Cl: 4
SO4: 2
CaCO3: 17.5

Mash / Sparge Vol (gal): 4 / 4
RO or distilled %: 0% / 0%

Total Grain (lb): 16
Non-Roasted Spec. Grain: 1.25
Roasted Grain: 0.5
Beer Color (SRM): 20.1

Adjustments (grams) Mash / Boil Kettle:
CaSO4: 5 / 5
CaCl2: 2 / 2
MgSO4: 2 / 2
NaHCO3: 0.5 / 0.5
NaCl: 0 / 0
CaCO3: 0 / 0
Lactic Acid (ml): 0
Sauermalz (oz): 0

Mash Water / Total water (ppm):
Ca: 120 / 120
Mg: 13 / 13
Na: 16 / 16
Cl: 68 / 68
SO4: 238 / 238
Cl to SO4 Ratio: 0.28 / 0.28

Alkalinity (CaCO3): 37
RA: -56
Estimated pH: 5.07


I'm not clear on who you're asking when you say "Also I know you start with harder water than me". FWIW, I raise RO water to Ca-110ppm, Mg-18ppm, Na-17ppm, SO4-350ppm, Cl-50ppm when I make JBA.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
User avatar
TastyMcD
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:14 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot]

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.