Re: Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber

Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:33 pm

If you go too long, you are gonna end up making something else entirely... Bug's point about it possibly being easier on really stressed yeast is well taken.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 am

I added the bourbon/spice concoction and inverted sugar to the secondary over a week ago and there's still plenty of fermentation activity going on. So two questions: 1. How long has secondary fermentation taken for others? 2. Was I supposed to add those prior to bottling?

The recipe looked so good, I brewed it immediately without reading all 24 pages of posts....
waldo711

Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:38 pm

I added spice blend at bottling, so you can do it to taste.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:57 pm

FWIW the high mash temp and yeast choice makes a big difference in this beer. I mashed at 152F this year and used 1028 London and am disappointed in how dry and bitter the beer is this year. It finished at 1.008 and tastes every bit of it.
What's on tap: Cream Ale, Imperial Blonde
Secondary: British Amber,
Primary: APA
http://bubrew.org
DannyW

Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:24 pm

Currently toasting my oats in my convection oven at 325F. House smells great. Brewing up winter warmer version of this on Sunday. Should be tasting great when my my little boy is born (late January).
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 am

Just brewed the Winter Warmerized version on Tuesday using all organic grains, additions, hops & spices (for the tincture) as my first AG batch! Currently it's bubbling nicely in the carboy. Cannot wait to try this...many thanks to Bugeater for sharing this and for all his help!
:jnj
Oh, and I'm using Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon.
Always Thirsty
In the Fermentor: C'est Son La Vie
Bottle Conditioning: Wonder Child Hard Cider #2
On Deck: West Coast IPA & California Common
Infusing: Redwood Manor Limoncello, Black Fig Vodka & Black Fig Bourbon
Dr. Bubra

Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 pm

F-yeah this beer is tasty!

Kegged 2 weeks ago, wasn't expecting much today thinking it needed more time to clear and flavors to blend but I was wrong. Bottled up a growler to bring to a Christmas tree decorating party and it went over wonderfully. Thanks Bug!!!!!

[edited to remove all evidence of girly excitement -- I mean who on this forum would say OMG?]
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:03 pm

Brewed up winter warmer version of this one (1.072 OG). Fermented down to 1.020 with WY 1469. Dialed in my tincture amounts for the spiced bourbon (Makers Mark) and added the scaled up amount to the keg. When I went to rack my beer over from primary via a closed transfer, I forgot to release the pressure in the keg before attaching my siphon tubing and blew my bourbon all over the garage!

Finished kegging the beer anyway, and then added the remainder of the spiced bourbon (which wasn't as much as I had originally desired or needed) to the beer. So, I made a bit stronger spice tincture in 4 more ounces of bourbon and let that sit for about 10 more days while the keg chilled out in my fridge. Added a bit more to the keg making up the original difference that I lost earlier, and went about carbing it up. Just tapped it this past weekend, and it truly is a delicious spiced beer. The aroma starts off with a medium spice aroma followed by a touch of sweet malt. The flavor provides an initial spice note of subtle cinnamon, clove, with a background of vanilla. Then the sweet cookie-like malt comes through to help round out the spices. The bourbon is not noticeable and if anything provides the hint of "raisiny" goodness that makes the beer a true Oatmeal Raisin cookie ale!

Bug you are the bomb! An amazing recipe with some very interesting techniques. Truly unique! Thanks again....

-Brewinhard
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles