Re: Jamil's Oud Bruin

Sun May 24, 2009 5:25 pm

This is not totally true. Yes it can vary from the original pitch but it does not mean it will become undrinkable. Rodenbach and several other belgian breweries use the bugs that are living in the barrels. They are not repitching a new blend of bugs every time. They are on 100's if not 1000's of repitches using the same bugs.
BrewerJ

Sun May 24, 2009 5:50 pm

I am just saying that you will more than likely drift away from Roselare character and after a while it may not be what you want. Not that there is anything wrong with house character. Just sayin' :unicornrainbow:
Sergeant: BN Army - Michigan Brewing Division

I've been pounding Chad's Dunkel all night.

- Doc

Twitter: @adammmills Follow me, yo!

http://thosewhocantteachbrew.blogspot.com
Mills

Sun May 24, 2009 8:49 pm

Yes it will drift but it should be close to the original for at least 2-3 beers. At least thats been my results.
BrewerJ

Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:20 am

Just brewed this one up today! I lowered the gravity to a 1067 and pitched US-O5 for primary. I plan to rack to a carboy on top of 1 oz. French med. toast cubes and Roselare yeast when the primary slows. I am looking for a touch more sour than I think Jamil recommends in BCS (and maybe even more than BJCP guidelines), but that is my personal preference. I still want some malt, oak, and sour notes to balance the higher alcohol content though. Will post again when I rack to secondary.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:22 am

correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the "dowel trick" was using an oak dowel as a breathable bung not actually putting home depot wood in your beer.
RodMandrill

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:59 pm

correct the dowel is for oxygen for the bugs not for oak flavor. You would want toasted french or hungarian or american oak not home depot treated oak.
BrewerJ

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles