It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Forgot Whirlfloc
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:05 am 

I am just cleaning up after a perfect brew session only to find my tab of whirlfloc still sitting on the table. Yeast is already pitched. Is there something I can do to fine my beer now or am I stuck with a cloudy brew?

Post subject: Re: Forgot Whirlfloc
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:27 am 
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 4
Asshat of the Year (1) Drunk of the Week (3)
DeltaBrew wrote:
I am just cleaning up after a perfect brew session only to find my tab of whirlfloc still sitting on the table. Yeast is already pitched. Is there something I can do to fine my beer now or am I stuck with a cloudy brew?

I forget mine from time to time too. There are two things to try at this point. First is to simply crash the temperature of the beer once fermentation is complete, i.e. drop the temperature close to freezing, and let it sit for a couple days. This will drop most stuff to the bottom and you can rack off the top of that.

The other technique is to use gelatin. Mix up about half a package of Knox unflavored gelatin in a little hot water (do not boil!!!), pour that into your finished, uncarbonated beer at around 70°, stir gently and then chill the beer and let it sit several days. You then rack rack the beer off the sludge.

A third alternative is to drink cloudy beer like I usually end up doing in cases like this.

Wayne (drinking a cloudy rye cream ale)
Bugeater Brewing Company

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:34 pm 
Global Moderator
 WWW  Profile

Medals: 4
Inked Soldier (1) Asshat of the Year (1)
Drunk of the Week (1) Douche of the Year (1)
+1 to Boog. I forget it more than I remember it. 80% of the time it makes little difference. It really depends on the style. The other 20% crashing it will help a lot. The only time I'd mess with gelatin is if I think it's a killer beer and I want to send it to NHC (hasn't happened yet). Otherwise, drink it and try again.

ImageImage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:47 am 

Or you can filter it with one of these:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:18 pm 

Gelatin finings should be added to cold beer, but the gelatin solution itself can be at any temp. It's such a small volume compared to the beer. Carbonation has no effect on the gelatin. You can fine a carbonated or still beer with gelatin just the same. You don't need to wait several days - 24 hours should do as long as the beer is kept cold. Gelatin will not only clear haze causing proteins, but also polyphenols, which leaves the beer "brighter" and crisper, IMO. I fine most of my beers with gelatin and have been doing so for years. Personally, I love the results, especially with pale hoppy beers.

Downtown Long Beach