Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:26 pm

jamilz wrote:You never want to make a high gravity starter. Make all your starters around 1.035 and keep them at reasonable temperatures, not too high, ~67F.

Yes, you can use a single tube or smack pack into 8 liters of 1.035 wort as a starter and that will result in a nice pitch of yeast. 8 liters is not too much wort for a single vial or pack to ferment as a starter.

The rule of thumb for stepping up yeast is 10x in volume. So, you start from a single colony off a plate or slant into 10 ml of wort. That ferments and then you go to 100 ml, then 1000 ml, etc. You can use other mulipliers, though I've always heard 10x.

Thanks.

Step two. Or question 2.

Is your calculator set for just shaking the wort? If I get an output of 2 liters of starter required, how was that starter made? I've seen where O2 and a stir plate can be 2X the cell count. I'll be getting a stir plate if not only for the quality of cells produced, but also to reduce the size (compaired to my current method) to save on DME.
yinzer

Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:38 pm

The numbers do not include a stirplate, as it is really difficult to predict the results using a stirplate. Too many variables.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients