Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:25 pm

hey Lufah is that free advertising i see in that pic?????
Thank God All Mighty For Titties and Beer
Ozbrewer

Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:30 pm

Ozbrewer wrote:hey Lufah is that free advertising i see in that pic?????

Nope. Just part of the normal mess that is my house. I never noticed that before in the pic. :oops:

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:56 am

Lufah wrote:My father in law is diabetic and I just bottle beer for him in 8oz coke bottles.

Travis, why 8 oz bottles for your father-in-law? Is that because he can only have that amount at a time? I have a friend who was just diagnosed with diabetes so I'm curious.
2DogAle

Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:07 am

Some of the issue comes from the fact that Splenda is actually a salt rather than a sugar

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:06 am

Dogger Dan wrote:Some of the issue comes from the fact that Splenda is actually a salt rather than a sugar

Are you sure about this? Basically it looks to me that they just replaced three hydroxyl groups from sucrose with three chlorine ions to keep the valences in check. I was kind of under the impression that a salt needed a metal (usually an alkali metal) along with a halogen to form an ionic compound. I suppose my definition of a salt may be limited though, seeing as I am far from a chemical engineer. In this case, Splenda may well be a salt...a sweet tasting salt.

- joe
trans

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:20 am

Yeh I am about 75 percent sure,

I seem to remember from my Food Chem days that most of these artificial sweetners are considered salts, in the sense that salts form from acids.

In the case of aspartame it is a salt of aspartic acid mixed with an ester of phynelthalene allbeit that Spelenda is sucralose and a little further look shows that it is indeed sucrose with three hydroxyl groups ripped off and substituded with three chlorine atoms (so a good thing I didn't bet the house on it being a salt)

The theory is that it is not absorbed through the digestive tract so it just passes through. It is apparently absorbed and can be converted into something no one knows much about.

So is it fermentable? Maybe, I guess the best thing to do is try it although I would check the byproducts before I gave it a ride. There isn't a lot of really good news about this stuff.

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:30 am

Dogger,

Sounds like a good enough explanation to me. I've only had a couple chemistry classes, so I'd rather be educated than possibly spread misinformation.

But yeah, like my wild chemical equation balancing above, it looks like the byproducts it would throw off don't look promising...assuming it can be fermented at all.

Thanks for the input.

- joe
trans

Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:44 pm

2DogAle wrote:
Lufah wrote:My father in law is diabetic and I just bottle beer for him in 8oz coke bottles.

Travis, why 8 oz bottles for your father-in-law? Is that because he can only have that amount at a time? I have a friend who was just diagnosed with diabetes so I'm curious.

It just keeps the calories and carbs down. From my understanding to much of either can mess up his blood sugar levels. He was always wanting to split a bottle with me so I try to bottle him some small bottles so he can have it when I'm not there.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Ingredients