7 Days Of Fermentation & I Got Another Inch of Foam

Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:02 am

Anyone ever get another inch of head on the top of a carboy after 7 days of fermentation?
I was holding a good 1.5 inches of foam then all of a sudden it took off again and gained another 1 or more of head. I have never seen anything like it. Should I worry?
Carlo
hopbumpingbrewer

Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:53 am

I wouldn't. Take a hydro reading for a couple days in a row if the gravity stays the same, it's time to rack to a secondary or keg/bottle. I have racked to a secondary with foam before, with no ill effects. Some yeast/wort combos will not drop the foam out it seems.
Peace!
pvignola

Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:23 am

I went ahead and checked it yesterday and I am at Terminal Gravity.
O.G. was 1.091 now it is 1.022.

I was really afraid of letting air in but I think it will be ok. Thanks for your help.

Carlo
hopbumpingbrewer

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:44 am

hopbumpingbrewer wrote:I went ahead and checked it yesterday and I am at Terminal Gravity.
O.G. was 1.091 now it is 1.022.

I was really afraid of letting air in but I think it will be ok. Thanks for your help.

Carlo

It is always best to keep air away from your beer as much as possible. But the risk of contamination is much lower (once fermentation is complete, or nearly so), especially in a high gravity ale like the one you brewed, due to the presence of alcohol.
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:51 am

Thanks for the reassurance. I think that I am going to enter it in the BigBeersFestival in January.
I do not expect to win, but I sure will like to get some experienced feedback on it.
I am also gonna give it to JP and Justin to try as well.

carlo
hopbumpingbrewer

Return to Brewing Ingredients