Cocoa nibs and coconut added to milk stout.

Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:56 am

I am gonna add cocoa nibs and coconut to my beer in the secondary it's just about done and I was just gonna toast the coconut then freeze the nibs and toasted coconut before adding to fermenter. Is there a better way to do this? Like soaking in vodka or what anything? I looked around the forum but didn't see anything, so maybe this could be a good subject to talk about anyways? Thanks. Cheers!
menace2sobriety

Re: Cocoa nibs and coconut added to milk stout.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:40 pm

I toasted the nibs in the oven until I they smelled like brownies and then pitched them straight in. Got a moderate chocolate taste, but not overwhelming. I used 100g in a 6 gallon batch.
donchiquon

Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm

How did that turn out?
menace2sobriety

Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:22 am

donchiquon wrote:I toasted the nibs in the oven until I they smelled like brownies and then pitched them straight in. Got a moderate chocolate taste, but not overwhelming. I used 100g in a 6 gallon batch.

Yum. That sounds delicious!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:26 pm

menace2sobriety wrote:How did that turn out?

It was a great beer. I still have about half a keg left which I'm saving for when the winter comes.

It took about 8-13 weeks to properly condition as it was pretty tar-like when it was young. Now it is mellow but complex with a blend of initial caramel leading to dark roasted flavours with the coffee and chocolate in the background.

Definitely a half-pint after dinner beer!
donchiquon

Return to Brewing Ingredients