My Nuts and I need help!

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:31 am

Was in San Diego for NHC 2015 was at Kilowatt brewing Co. and they had a fantastic Cinnamon Hazelnut Brown ale. The question is how do I get the Hazelnut in the beer without getting oils that would kill my head. I saw that there is a Lorann oil "Chocolate Hazelnut" flavoring, but was more like thinking to use the real thing any thoughts. Thanks in advance
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Re: My Nuts and I need help!

Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:26 pm

I may be totally wrong, but I think a lot of breweries are using flavoring, like you mentioned, for the exact reason you mentioned (killing the head on the beer).

I believe this is what MoreBeer includes with Jamil's Chocolate Hazelnut Porter recipe kit:

http://www.morebeer.com/products/hazeln ... 25-ml.html
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:44 am

+1. Check out natural hazelnut flavoring at Silver Cloud Estates online.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:35 am

I've used Hazelnut extract in the past (for 2 chocolate cream stouts I've made) from a local organic market. I've added it to the beer while kegging, but I've only had mixed results. It seems to me that the extract is denser than the beer and tends to sink to the bottom of the keg - my first 3 pours off the keg tend to be overpowering with Hazelnut, then I get about 12-15 pours that are just right - really lovely balance between the chocolate and hazelnut, then after that the hazelnut flavor pretty much disappears so by the last 10-15 pours it just tastes like a chocolate stout.

So I guess what I'm saying is that you need to figure out a way to integrate it into the beer better.

I've made my own almond extracts in the past - finely chopped almond in a shot of vodka - let it sit in my fridge for 4-6 weeks, then decant off the liquid and add it at the end of the boil. That gave me better results than the store-bought extracts added at kegging.

Mason
TinyManInside

Return to Brewing Ingredients