Water properties for a lager- Kentucky Windage or measure?

Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:33 pm

Hi,
I've finally acquired the equipment needed for a proper fermentation chamber and I can finally produce my first lager here in sunny San Diego. With that being said, I feel I need to address any nuance in the process/ingredients selection as I imagine lagers/pilsners can be unforgiving when it comes to errors. My question is this: I have never made adjustments to my water; I have always used bottled natural spring water from a source(s) in Ramona, CA and am unaware of its properties. I have read that it is wise to start with a distilled water when making lagers as the style calls for soft water. Is there any sure fire way to remain in the "sweet spot" with water properties while not having the ability to measure PH level/etc? Is there an inexpensive way to measure the required properties? This is new territory for me; thanks for the input, advice, or schooling you may have!

-I'll have another question or two in the fermenting forum pertaining to my upcoming lager adventure. Thanks for advising me along the journey.
Yakman619

Re: Water properties for a lager- Kentucky Windage or measur

Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:34 am

Look up Brunwater and do some studying. A lot of guys in your situation use reverse osmosis water (RO) and add a calculated amount of lactic acid, calcium cloride, and or calcium sulfate (gypsum). Brunwater will explain it and provide water profiles for various beers.
Klickitat Jim

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:27 am

Klickitat Jim wrote:Look up Brunwater and do some studying. A lot of guys in your situation use reverse osmosis water (RO) and add a calculated amount of lactic acid, calcium cloride, and or calcium sulfate (gypsum). Brunwater will explain it and provide water profiles for various beers.

Thanks, Jim! I'll do that.
Yakman619

Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:19 pm

Yakman619 wrote:
Klickitat Jim wrote:Look up Brunwater and do some studying. A lot of guys in your situation use reverse osmosis water (RO) and add a calculated amount of lactic acid, calcium cloride, and or calcium sulfate (gypsum). Brunwater will explain it and provide water profiles for various beers.

Thanks, Jim! I'll do that.

Water is probably the most scientific and mathematic aspect of brewing. I understand just enough to get what I want. Brunwater has great info, but I use the water calculator in Brewers Friend plus my own adjustments based on my experience with my water and recipes. I only use gypsum calcium chloride and lactic acid pre boil and occasionally baking soda in the boil on beers that I want to be soft and malty.

Enjoy the journey
Klickitat Jim

Return to Brewing Ingredients