How many generations?

Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:13 pm

Hey howdy!

I heard Jamil say that re-pitching is awesome up to the 5th generation and then it falls off after that. Is this true for both ale and lager yeasts for the homebrewer?

Thanks BN

Billy

:jnj
Billy Gimmick

Re: How many generations?

Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:25 am

i usually don't repitch.

If I want to save some yeast for future brews I make a bigger starter and take some yeast off of that. I keep it in the fridge and then I make another starter before I use it.
thomscottson

Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:39 pm

I'll repitch on occasion. usually because I am brewing a really big beer and want the cell count so I'll brew a smaller beer first and use part of the cake.

I've gone three generations with no problems. I only stopped because I didn't have anything else planned with the same yeast so it was more trouble to keep it than buy more later.

Pro brewers will often go many many generations (20+) although there is not always a good parallel with homebrewers.

Generally though, if you give your yeast the nutrients they need (lots of DAP and FAN) and are careful with sanitation you can safely repitch many more times.

I know a homebrewer that has been using the same culture repitched regularly for 20 plus years.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"

-A. Einstein
morticaixavier

Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:39 pm

I have never gone more than 3 generations... but one day I'll try it. It should work fine for many generations. Both lagers and ales. You can discard most of the yeast and just save a little from each batch, as opposed to racking on top of an entire yeast cake every time, which some people like to do but any nasty stuff isn't discarded when you do that. So just save a little and discard the rest, and roll.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:13 pm

Most I went was 3 also, so I can't really help. I know that lots of guys use far more.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:15 am

I am on my third generation of a lager yeast. I probably wont go another repitch as the next beer is going to be an ale.

One thing I like about repitching is that I am learning how this yeast acts in my fermentor. Really helpful for repeatability.
Millhaus

Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:58 am

It depends on how you treat/rinse/clean your yeast. I've ventured into 20+ territory. It can be done. Rinsing correctly & nutrient are key along with the standards of good cleaning & sanitation. Harvesting from a solid, controlled ferment is pretty important too.

The fail safe I used was to harvest, rinse & separate into 2 cultures. Grow them both back up & repeat. You'll have several branches going from the original strain. Some aren't going to do well & you get rid of them. I came up with a system to keep track of which branch & generation each strain was, just to keep them all straight.

If you're looking for the easy way to do it, buy a new vial every couple of gens.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:11 pm

If you listen to the first Anchor Brewing show I believe Anchor said they had not bought/cultured a new yeast pitch in 20 years. They just acid washed and reused. I myself have never used more than three generations in a row, but that's only becuase I brew often enough to keep the yeast fresh.
Bad Goat Brewing

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients