Single-Hop CTZ IPA

Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Big fans of the CTZ flavor in Pyramid's Thunderhead IPA. Anyone have a better example out there, of CTZ? Pyramid's website lists 2-Row, Munich and Crystal as the bulk of the malt, but we're still not sure about their yeast.

In case anyone was looking for an example of CTZ (Columbus/Tomahawk/Zeus) hops in an IPA, this is it, in our opinion.

We reviewed it recently and found the primary flavor to be "grapefruit":
http://www.kswbeer.com/2012/04/revisiti ... p-ctz.html
kswbeer

Re: Single-Hop CTZ IPA

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Snoqualmie Falls Wildcat IPA is all Columbus.
Not sure it gets down as far as Portland, but you might be able to get it.
If not, I can bring you a bottle or 2 if you go to the NHC 1st round judging on Apr 21 at Hopworks.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:57 pm

I believe the Bitterroot (a MT brewery) single-hop is all CTZ. Thin (hopwise) grapefruit is certainly the dominant flavor in that one as well.
Beer. Bikes. Cosmic B-fields.
adamK

Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:25 am

Magic Hat's Hi. P.A. It's 100% Crisp pale malt, 100% CTZ boil and dry hop, Ringwood yeast, 6.7 ABV% and around 60-70 IBU. It is one of my favorites. I don't know the amount and timing of the hop additions but they get the whole spectrum of CTZ flavor. Needs to be drank fresh and it might be difficult to get a fresh bottle out to the left coast. Oh, and currently, they are only brewing it in the fall. I recall that Pyramid and Magic Hat are now owned by the same company so if you're close with Pyramid, maybe you could get the hookup.

BTW, if I had to choose one hop to live with, it would be CTZ.
Monty Burns

Sun May 27, 2012 6:08 pm

Monty Burns, that would be a wise choice.
kswbeer

Return to Brewing Ingredients