Irish Moss

Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:56 am

Can I use Irish Moss in any recipe or do some clarifying agents work better with certain types of beers? Are there circumstances where they should be avoided all together?
polski

Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:22 pm

Irish moss should work well with anything. I use Whirlfloc instead, mainly because it's in tab form and easier to use. The only thing I don't use it in is wheat beers. You want those to be cloudy.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:03 pm

I wouldnt bother using Irish moss on a stout, what the hell are you gunna see when looking through it anyway (Dark beer). Hell I am lucky if I remember to out it in my ales.

HH
Anderson Valley Brewing Co. (Bahl hornin')

Hell Freezes over show
" I am gunna guess this is an IPA. Its the same color as one and kinda tastes like one"
Dr Scott 8:10 pm Sunday Jan. 14th, 2007
Homegrown Hops

Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:12 am

I've tried the powder and the flakes and now I use Whirlfloc also and put 'em in everything but the wheats. Depending on the Stout you are making, they are not always pitch black. You can catch some light through them and get red hues, and if it's cloudy you can tell. Cream Stouts, imperial stouts and the like don't need it, but it can't hurt.

Also, if you DON'T get used to putting 'em in almost every beer, then you might end up like Homegrown said and forget to put 'em in your ales :)
Speyedr

Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:42 am

thanks guys. I might try some of those other agents in my brew today.
polski

Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:12 pm

I bought a pack of Whirlfloc and used it in my last brew. You're right it is pretty effortless to use. now i just have to wait for that first glass to see how it works.
polski

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:20 am

I wouldnt bother using Irish moss on a stout, what the hell are you gunna see when looking through it anyway (Dark beer)?

Irish Moss (aka IM) is used primarily as an emulsifying agent; Irish moss promotes break material formation and precipitation during the boil and upon cooling of the hot break material. This happens regardless of the color of the wort. While it can be used for purposes of clarity, IM's primary use is in emulsification and coagulation of unwanted lipoproteins in wort (aka hot break material). If fermented, this spooge makes the beer taste cloyingly bitter and astringent, besides making for a cloudy beer. I actually had the misfortune to taste a beer like that at the Oregon State Fair Amatuer Beer Competition a couple of years ago. It was sooo nasty one judge threw up, another one gagged, and I spat it out on the floor, barely missing the bucket. Needless to say, it was the worst beer I have ever had the displeasure of judging :oops: Hope this clarifies (pun intended) the question a wee bit more. Ttyal, and ilbcnu!

Prost!

Michel
zymurgest

Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:40 pm

Ok busting open an old thread to ask if anybody realized this was out there or used it yet. Looks like another great product from five star
http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=7247
The only soldier in the BN ARMY with Ink on his legs promoting The Brewing network and BN ARMY. Prost

"The BNA is my therapist." Mickp
Henning1966

Next

Return to Brewing Ingredients