Sanitizing gas lines when kegging and bottling.

Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 am

Hey guys,

I have been purging with CO2 and kegging for only a few months and have seen a big improvement in the longevity of my bottled beers and kegs.

Does anyone else sanitize all their gas lines before purging and kegging?

I am a little unsure whether it is necessary as it never comes into contact with beer or other liquids, however the yeasts and bacteria in the air may be an issue.
Beerbrain

Re: Sanitizing gas lines when kegging and bottling.

Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:45 am

While I have done this a before it is not necessary. That said it can't hurt. I do error on the side of cleaning a gas line before first use, but I don't think that is necessary either.
If you got beer in your gas line you should defiantly clean it. Just make sure you always have your gas on before you hook up to a keg or you may get a gas line full of beer. This happens because the keg has more pressure than the line. Back pressure pushes into the void of pressure in the line.
barleyboy

Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:38 pm

I sanitize my gas lines the first time I connect them to quick disconnects and the tank. Just to be safe and sure, although I am anal when it comes to sanitation.

I always sanitize my gas line for my beer gun too when bottling beers from the keg. Once again, just to rule out any variable that might screw up my beer.

With that being said, I don't think its necessary, but it is so easy to do, so why not?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:28 pm

Thanks for your input guys.

I like the 'better safe than sorry' attitude. It does require a little more work, but it's got to be worth it right?

Cheers.
Beerbrain

Thu Nov 10, 2016 9:54 pm

Beerbrain wrote:Thanks for your input guys.

I like the 'better safe than sorry' attitude. It does require a little more work, but it's got to be worth it right?

Cheers.

It's a better option than turning a German Pils into a Brett Saison.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:27 pm

I love to be redundant, so I'll chime in...

I always shoot some starsan down the lines when I put the stuff together the first time, but so long as I don't get beer back into the line I just re-spray the connector. I haven't been bitten by it yet (maybe 100 batches since I started kegging).
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:58 am

NateBrews wrote:I love to be redundant, so I'll chime in...

I always shoot some starsan down the lines when I put the stuff together the first time, but so long as I don't get beer back into the line I just re-spray the connector. I haven't been bitten by it yet (maybe 100 batches since I started kegging).

Pretty much what I do to. No issues.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Nov 14, 2016 5:42 pm

Generally all I do is spray the connector with Star San just before sticking it on a keg post. Be sure to spray the post too. Every month or two, I take the connector apart and soak in in PBW for awhile to clean it. Dip all the parts in Star San and reassemble. The gas line will be clean enough that you don't need to put any sanitizer in it. If beer has backed up into the line, it needs a lot more than just sanitizing. Complete cleaning with BLC or outright replacing is in order.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing