Aging sours in kegs?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:47 am

Do you put kegs under pressure to seal them? Lay them on their side? What do you guys go?
norfire0

Re: Aging sours in kegs?

Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:30 am

I keg all of my sour beers. I typically close transfer from primary into the keg, and purge to seal the lid tight, then store them upright until I am ready to carb and drink them. If theTy need more time to sour then try to store them in at room temps, but if they are ready to go and I like where the sourness is at, then I store them in my fridge until carbing them up.

The beauty of kegging sour beers is that you can minimize oxygen uptake and reduce acetic acid character in the finished product.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Do you put 5psi on the keg just to help seal the lid?
norfire0

Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:47 pm

I hit it with about 25 psi 7-8 times (I am overly anal with oxidation) pulling the pressure relief valve and then typically leave it on the gas while I clean up from the racking (15-20 min at most). Then that goes in the basement for further aging followed by relieving the pressure over the course of the next few months if additional sourness is desired. If it is ready for drinking it will get placed in the fridge until the next available spot opens up for dispensing.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:03 pm

brewinhard wrote:I hit it with about 25 psi 7-8 times (I am overly anal with oxidation) pulling the pressure relief valve and then typically leave it on the gas while I clean up from the racking (15-20 min at most). Then that goes in the basement for further aging followed by relieving the pressure over the course of the next few months if additional sourness is desired. If it is ready for drinking it will get placed in the fridge until the next available spot opens up for dispensing.

I do the same thing. I actually just finished naturally carbonating a sour in a corny keg that I let sit at room temperature for about a month and a half.
misled_drummer

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing