Need help with a broken Perlick tap

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 pm

So.... I fucked up my SS Perlick tap somehow...

My buddy brought over one of those giant Sapporo samurai sword looking tap handles that he scored from work. I have a pretty standard "freezer over fridge" kegerator which only has room for the short tap handles. We got un-sobered and decided to put the tap handle on anyway just to see how it looked... then someone opened the freezer door into the tap handle. It must have fucked up the tap because now the tap won't fully close. Luckily I didn't have anything connected to it at the time, but the other night I went to tap a fresh keg and beer just started flowing out the tap even in the closed position. If I apply pressure and hold it closed the flow stops, but once I let go it starts flowing again.

Am I screwed or is there a way to get in there and somehow adjust it so it'll close??

Thanks in advance

RanchCat
RanchCat

Re: Need help with a broken Perlick tap

Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:22 pm

I have three Perlick 425 SS (I think) fawcets and it's pretty easy to disassemble them. Here's the diagram:

Considering your description of the incident I bet part #1 on the stem is bent.
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:00 pm

Charlie wrote:I have three Perlick 425 SS (I think) fawcets and it's pretty easy to disassemble them. Here's the diagram:

Considering your description of the incident I bet part #1 on the stem is bent.

Thanks Charlie,

I'm not sure which series I have, I think it's slightly different than the diagram but this helps a lot! I'm not too familiar with the anatomy of taps so this is a great starting point. I'll do some tinkering this weekend and report back
RanchCat

Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:02 am

It would be nearly impossible to bend part #1. Most of the Perlicks have a different assembly in place of parts 3 & 5. The newer ones of those series are plastic & easily damaged. It's hard to say without disassembling it & taking a look, but they're pretty simple devices mechanically. Take it apart & I bet the problem will be obvious real quick.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing