Dry hopping in the keg.

Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:38 pm

I am going to dry hop my IPA in the keg, but I am wondering if I should do this under pressure or just purge the o2 and leave it at a very low pressure. If you have ever done this before please let me know.
drunkinirish

Re: Dry hopping in the keg.

Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:30 am

drunkinirish wrote:I am going to dry hop my IPA in the keg, but I am wondering if I should do this under pressure or just purge the o2 and leave it at a very low pressure. If you have ever done this before please let me know.
I don't think it matters. I use a bag with some stainless washers for weight......plug dip tubes suck.
Bad Goat Brewing

Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:26 am

I use these: https://arborfab.com/product/keg-style-dry-hopper/.

I sanitize and purge my keg, put the dry hopper in quickly and carefully, then fill the keg with beer and condition/serve as usual. If it starts to get too grassy, I transfer the beer over to another keg.
leaky_porch

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 pm

leaky_porch wrote:I use these: https://arborfab.com/product/keg-style-dry-hopper/.

I sanitize and purge my keg, put the dry hopper in quickly and carefully, then fill the keg with beer and condition/serve as usual. If it starts to get too grassy, I transfer the beer over to another keg.

Have you ever noticed it getting too grassy or is the beer pretty much consumed before then? :aaron
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:20 pm

A bit of both ;)
leaky_porch

Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 am

I suspend my hop bag in the keg using dental floss. It's thin enough so the seal doesn't get broken. At the temps I hold my keg (42F), I don't seem to extract any grassiness from the hops and my kegs tend to go slow (only one in my house that drinks beer).

I think I try to suspend it about halfway.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing