Over carbonated Sanke Keg

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:00 pm

I have a Marzen beer in a 1/6th barrel sanke keg that is over carbonated. I used 5oz of corn sugar and allowed the keg to carbonate at approximately 65 degrees for about 3 months before moving the keg to the keezer. I bottled 4 samples when I transferred to the keg and they were all highly carbonated as well so I'm pretty confident that I have a high CO2 issue at this point. I just tapped the keg tonight and have found that it is highly carbonated as well and I need to degas, but there is very little that I've found out there about degassing a sanke keg. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Here is more information on my keezer settings: Temp 35F, 12 PSI, 6' of 1/4" tubing.
lazybeagle

Re: Over carbonated Sanke Keg

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:17 pm

Welcome-

1st, let ALL the pressure off the keg through that you can via the pressure relief valve on the tap (the tap itself, not the faucet) now and again before you go to bed.

You will then need to let the keg equalize overnight, with no co2 connected, and test the carbonation again in the morning.
Repeat that until the keg is at the pressure you want.

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:52 pm

That split ring just above the base. Pull it.

What BD said. Use that ring to let off the pressure, allow it to equalize, test, repeat if necessary.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:25 am

Thanks guys, I didn't realize it was just as simple as shutting off the CO2 and letting out the pressure a few times. I appreciate the feedback. It worked great, now I have a well carbonated beer that I'll be able to show off at the party!
lazybeagle

Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:11 pm

Great-
Glad to help.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 am

Just be careful not to overshoot it :)
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon May 04, 2015 7:46 am

Greeting Fellow Brewer,

Doing an unrelated search, I stumbled across your thread. Glad to hear you got your overcarb squared away. What stuck out to me was the data you posted in your initial inquiry. (I.E. 35F@12psi with 6' of 1/4" line.) Just so you know I'm not talking out of my ass, I'm a professional brewer certified in draft systems by Micro Matic and I operate a Brewpub with 3 bars totaling 48 faucets and 4000' of draft line. (http://www.Rockfordbrewingco.com) In order to get your beer pouring flawlessly your system needs to be balanced. 1/4" vinyl tubing has a restriction of .85 pounds per foot (ppf). In order to balance the 12 pounds on your keg, (the correct pressure for 2.73 volumes of co2 @ 35F) you need to apply the following: 12pounds divided by the ppf of the tubing (.85) for the length of the line required (14') to provide the correct resistance and "balance" the system. You know it's right when you can pour a pint in exactly 8 seconds. 3/16" tubing has a resistance of 3 ppf. Therefore, you can achieve the same balance with 4 feet of line. Most guys like a little over-restriction and I'm one of them so i wouldn't be afraid to go all the way to 5 feet. I don't know how it's pouring for you, but I'd bet if you went to 3/16" line you'd see a big improvement.

Cheers,
Steve Lenox
Head Brewer, Rockford Brewing Company, Rockford, Illinois

P.S. If you dial back your pressure to 10psi, your co2 level will drop to 2.52 volumes after a week or so and pour even smoother.
Brewersteve200

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing