Re: Should I buy a counter pressure filler?

Thu May 01, 2014 8:20 am

I read on Homebrew Talk someone uses a racking cane with a 45 degree cut on the bottom then slide a bung down the racking cane into the bottle to create pressure. Any one else ever try this? I'm kegging for the first time this weekend and will want to fill a few bottles.
moshpit

Thu May 01, 2014 8:53 am

I personally prefer the Blichmann Beer Gun. It's high quality, easy to use, and I've never had an issue with either of the two I have (one for clean and one for sours). I just dial in the carbonation, and when I get it where I want it, I dial it up another 2 PSI for 4-5 days to account for loss during bottling, and then bottle. Works great!
Fermented_minds

Fri May 02, 2014 4:32 am

moshpit wrote:I read on Homebrew Talk someone uses a racking cane with a 45 degree cut on the bottom then slide a bung down the racking cane into the bottle to create pressure. Any one else ever try this? I'm kegging for the first time this weekend and will want to fill a few bottles.

This is what I do, it works pretty well, but takes some practice.
adamK

Fri May 02, 2014 8:29 am

I think i'm going to try before i buy a bottle filler.
moshpit

Fri May 02, 2014 3:42 pm

If I'm filling a six pack or less I use the Mcdole method. If bottling an entire keg I use a blichman beer gun.
Bad Goat Brewing

Sat May 03, 2014 8:57 am

Fermented_minds wrote:I personally prefer the Blichmann Beer Gun. It's high quality, easy to use, and I've never had an issue with either of the two I have (one for clean and one for sours). I just dial in the carbonation, and when I get it where I want it, I dial it up another 2 PSI for 4-5 days to account for loss during bottling, and then bottle. Works great!

+1

Everything I've ever used by Blichmann has been excellent. The BeerGun is amazing and perfect for small filling runs. I recommend a second CO2 tank & regulator if you can swing it, makes it almost too easy.
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

Tue May 06, 2014 6:41 am

Next weekend will be my first time using the Blichmann beer gun I can't wait!
Sex in a canoe and American lagers both F_ing close to water!
BeerZombie

Wed May 07, 2014 6:52 pm

Follow his instructions. Chill bottles and be sure to use enough beer line. Good luck. I love that thing!
Timmy
BN Army Air Corps

Go Cubbies!
TimmyR

PreviousNext

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing