Re: Should I buy a counter pressure filler?

Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:53 pm

Ozwald wrote:Definitely up the pressure a bump to get the beer slightly over carbed first. Put it in the bottles at maybe 4-5psi. If you flush the bottles before filling they'll last for a long, long time. Otherwise your only concern is oxidizing from the headspace.

A growler has more surface area exposed to the headspace than a bottle & a cap that doesn't seal as well which is why they don't tend to last all that long.

Awesome, I didnt know that! :jnj
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Should I buy a counter pressure filler?

Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:20 am

crashlann wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Definitely up the pressure a bump to get the beer slightly over carbed first. Put it in the bottles at maybe 4-5psi. If you flush the bottles before filling they'll last for a long, long time. Otherwise your only concern is oxidizing from the headspace.

A growler has more surface area exposed to the headspace than a bottle & a cap that doesn't seal as well which is why they don't tend to last all that long.

Awesome, I didnt know that! :jnj

No worries. The filling pressure isn't all that critical. You want to keep it low to fill them gently, but if you go too low it'll take forever. If you over carb by a little bit, you can afford to lose some of the CO2 that's in suspension which will allow you to not only fill faster, but cap on foam. A purged bottle that slightly foams over is going to last as long as any commercial beer in a bottle.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing