Does anyone still bottle?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:58 am

Does anyone that has been brewing for more than, lets say 3 years, still bottle their beer rather than keg it for any reasons other than $$ or logistics (space for kegs, etc...) I still bottle. I have resisted going to kegging for several reasons...$$, sharing beer, inconsistent results and the fact that we usually have a commercial IPA at my house in a half barrel. But now that Im actually repeating recipes with consistent results, and not making as many of the same elementary mistakes as before, Im rethiking this choice. I think Im ready to do a 10 gallon batch and have two 5 gallon kegs of my own brew on tap. Feedback? Bottling 10 gallons seems like a chore, but I want to do bigger batches period. Thx.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Does anyone still bottle?

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:26 pm

While my main reasons for still being a bottler after 6.5 years of brewing are to do with space/$$, the main reasons I would see to continue as such would be style and presentation.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:42 pm

I have one keg, the whole setup was a birthday present. The majority of my beer is still bottled. I usually only keg something that is for a party or is going to be drank by me within 2 weeks give or take. All of my stouts, saisons and IPA is usually bottled. I have been brewing for just under 1.5 years. I'd say if you are getting good repeatability and have the $$ go get yourself a coulple kegs and the set up equipment.
:jnj -Pork
Bottled: fresh hop pale ale
On tap: Moose bile strong ale
In the cellar: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial Stout
Lagering:
In the fermenter: Moose drool clone
In the works: Taqu'il's Fat Black Imperial stout
PorkSlapper

Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh crap, I have to buy the kegs...never mind...
But seriously, I like the idea of doing both. Maybe big batches of house beer (IPA for us) on tap, and the Belgians for me in the bottle. Thanks for feedback.
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:03 pm

Kegging has other benefits too. You can dry-hop, oak, add gelatin to clarify, adjust the carbonation. I prolly wouldn't still be brewing if I had to bottle.
hoodie

Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:51 pm

I love bottle conditioned beers, but I'll be damned if I do it for anything more than sours as of late. All of it goes into the keg and with gelatin or biofine, bright beer with any level of carbing I want is ready in days.
duckmanco

Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:43 am

I just started kegging after 5.5 yrs of bottling. I was given 7kegs and 2/20lb CO2 tanks years ago but never had the $$ to get the rest of the stuff to do it. I had to lay out a bit of cash to get these kegs up and going with tubing, disconnects, O-rings etc and it felt like they were going to nickel and dime me to death--was starting to regret it.

A few months later and I'm very happy kegging. I'm serving from 6 kegs with picnic taps. I brew 7 gallon batches so I bottle the 1 to
1.5 gallons post fermentation that won't fit in the keg to share. I just add 2 grams of sucrose per 12oz bottle for conditioning at ~ 2.2 vols/CO2. 3.5G for 22oz bombers.

My kegged beer tastes fresher and brighter than the bottle conditioned stuff. I brew mostly lagers and it really shows in side to side tasting.
Did I Brew That?
Steve Urquell

Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:01 am

Steve Urquell wrote:I just started kegging after 5.5 yrs of bottling. I was given 7kegs and 2/20lb CO2 tanks years ago but never had the $$ to get the rest of the stuff to do it. I had to lay out a bit of cash to get these kegs up and going with tubing, disconnects, O-rings etc and it felt like they were going to nickel and dime me to death--was starting to regret it.

A few months later and I'm very happy kegging. I'm serving from 6 kegs with picnic taps. I brew 7 gallon batches so I bottle the 1 to
1.5 gallons post fermentation that won't fit in the keg to share. I just add 2 grams of sucrose per 12oz bottle for conditioning at ~ 2.2 vols/CO2. 3.5G for 22oz bombers.

My kegged beer tastes fresher and brighter than the bottle conditioned stuff. I brew mostly lagers and it really shows in side to side tasting.

Thanks Steve, very insightful.
Jason.

Longtermferm:

crashlann

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing