Another Brett bottling question - what would you do?

Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:18 pm

My first Brett beer is sitting in a carboy and I'm not sure what to do next.

It's an all grain that started at 1.050. I put 1214, and 5112 into it (and them some 3522 Belgian Ardennes because I was worried about the slow start). Basically I emptied my stash of Wyeast into it.

It's only about a 6 weeks old, and the Brett have kicked in (it's been at 76-80 the whole time). Gravity sat at 1.010 for a while then recently dropped to 1.006. The flavor has gotten kinda horsey in the last week, but no lactic that I can detect yet.

At the same time I let a culture of pure Brett go for 5 weeks, it made a nice fruity and slightly lactic beer. Same temps, but this culture had some access to oxygen.

So the questions-
If I bottle it will it affect the ethanol vs. lactic production?
I don't have much refrigerator space, should I even considering bottling now?
Can I use oxygen to push this beer to be more like the culture that I had?

I'm open to any suggestions-
thanks- Brian
Pepi

Re: Another Brett bottling question - what would you do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:57 am

If you are at 1.006, then you should be safe to bottle your brett beer. Just be advised that the brett might continue to consume any residual sugars in the bottle increasing your carbonation levels. If you shoot for 2.5-3 vol in the bottle, you should be okay.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Re: Another Brett bottling question - what would you do?

Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:31 pm

While I agree your probably safe, I'd still give it a little more time. 'Recent' drops in gravity should be something to take note of. If you have a finishing hydrometer (small scale usually .9-something to 1.020) use it. If you don't, you should pick one up. Numbers plus a little sensory analysis is always good. Plus, even if you are solid now, another week or two of batch aging isn't going to hurt anything... it may even help.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing