Re: Capping Korean Beer Bottles

Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Ozwald wrote:If they're that different & your current capper is working fine, is it really worth dealing with them? :)
Thats the question/issue I'm pondering at the moment. Being that they're free, large and in basically unlimited supply is very appealing. It has me thinking it might be worth it over having to buy, scrounge up or collect empties of commercials. But if finding the caps & a capper that can do them is such a PITA, well then the issue is solved for me :| I wish I could just move on to kegging but I live in an small apartment & just don't have space or an extra fridge to use for cold storage, so for now I'm stuck bottling indefinitely.

My butterfly is working great so far. I've bottled three 5 gallon batches successfully so I've been happy with it but I imagine, like you said & according to other sources, that it will wear out at one point. I like the idea of a bench style capper because they appear to be sturdier & less likely to have a bottle slip out from under me, while capping which is something I've almost had happen a few times with the butterfly on a wet table.

Thanks for your help and pointing out the cappers you own! Now I have options for upgrades in the future. I'll try calling NB & see if they have info on a third bell size & caps for the bottles. If it don't work out, it's not the end of the world. Cheers Oz!
Always Thirsty
In the Fermentor: C'est Son La Vie
Bottle Conditioning: Wonder Child Hard Cider #2
On Deck: West Coast IPA & California Common
Infusing: Redwood Manor Limoncello, Black Fig Vodka & Black Fig Bourbon
Dr. Bubra

Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:44 am

Sorry I couldn't point you further. Best of luck hunting a bell down. And I love that cheaper bench capper. Served me well for years & worth every penny, especially if you're going to be bottling for a while. If you like to do Belgians or wine, I would highly suggest just skipping that one & going straight for the more expensive of the two. It'll save you money in the long run. I was a little hesitant to buy one at first because they look kind of cheap with all that plastic, but they're actually very good quality.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 am

I'll add an endorsement for the Colonna capper/corker. I upgraded about six months ago to have the ability to do Belgians and to cork bottles. It's nice thick plastic and is super easy to use. Makes bottling much faster and easier than the handheld cappers.
Fermenting: English Mild
Conditioning: Wild Pumpkin
Drinking: Funky Saison
Cody

Previous

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing