Blew Beer Back Into My Regulator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 pm

I was force carbing to the out post at 30 psi and bypassing my manifold that has the check valves. While in a deep discussion with friends, I, without thinking, turned the regulator valve off before unplugging the beer line! I felt the beer hit my hand from the blow holes behind the reg valve. Even though I pulled the keg connector really fast, I'm wondering if I have ruined my regulator. It will at least become contaminated without a good cleaning. I don't know how to safely disassemble it to clean. I used the forum search and only found where Bugeater said he has done this, but can't find any tutorial explanation or video anywhere and I don't want to damage it. It's a Taprite with poly bonnet and I don't know if the threads are left or right on secondary outlets. Can anyone advise me on this?
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Re: Blew Beer Back Into My Regulator

Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:21 pm

Ok, the threads are marked on the back. Took the whole thing apart, soaked in Oxy Free solution (except gauges), rinsed and left to dry. Hope I can get this sucker put back together right and it still works. Wonder if it needs to be sanitized, I know it needs to be dry before reassembly. Maybe bake it, just the brass?
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:10 pm

I got it put back together and holds pressure with no leaks. TapRite sent me some info that was very helpful. Also, I added a check valve this time. Live and learn.
scotchpine

Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

Did the same thing one time, regulator is fine. Live and learn.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing