Gusher Question

Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:45 pm

I notice I will have a bottle "gush" when I either, don't leave in the refrigerator long enough (less than 4 hours), or when I put it in the freezer to try and quick chill. Aside from that I never have issues with bottles gushing. Question is, am I experiencing gushin from infection in bottle?

Thanks
Eddie
edarizona

Re: Gusher Question

Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:01 pm

Your beer is just angry because you aren't waiting for the mountains to turn blue.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:12 pm

is this with one particular batch or a recurring phenomenon?

might help to post recipe/process to get more feedback. are there any off flavors associated with the gush? what was the volume of the beer in the bottling bucket and how much priming sugar did you use?
fistwizard

Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:22 pm

It does take time to absorb the CO2 into solution...but I would not think this would make it gush...it would just make a much louder psst when you opened it..

Maybe when you rush to cool it down...you are also rushing to open it? ;)
Stinkfist

Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 pm

Could just be simple overpriming/overcarbonation. More CO2 will remain in suspension in cold beer than warm, thus the gushers on unchilled beers. As for the freezer, if they're in there just a tad too long you could be forming tiny ice crystals which would be a nucleation site for CO2 bubbles - thus gushers.
MNHazmat

Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:21 pm

Dudes,

After six batches of actually weighing my priming sugar and carbonating to style, I'm happy to announce that the rocky mountains are happy and bottles are not gushing. Lesson learned, always weigh and don't just use 3/4 of a cup.

Eddie
edarizona

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing