Leaking regulator

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:16 pm

I had a slow leak in mt kegging system over the past few months, but I've been out of town so much, I couldn't ever look into it. So I swapped the CO2 tank today and when I went to reconnect the regulator, I cannot get it tight enough to not leak. When I turn on the gas, I feel it leaking out through the valve (the side close to the tank, where it screws onto). It's as tight as I can make it without breaking my wrench, so I think the issue is the seal.

The morebeer FAQ says I need to rebuild it. The regulator is probably 6-7 years old, so maybe it's time to do that. However, the procedure sounds complicated AND I have yet to find anyone selling said rebuild kit. Does anyone know how to fix this? Is the rebuild worth doing? I'm not the most mechanically adept person, but I can change oil and a fuel filter in a car.

Morebeer link: http://morebeer.com/view_product/16190//CO2_Regulator_-_Dual_Gauge
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Re: Leaking regulator

Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:36 pm

Teflon tape?
snowcapt

Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:26 pm

If you are saying it is leaking at the bottle to regualtor interface, then did you make sure you had the gasket on the flat face of the connector flange installed? Metal to metal will not work. You need the gasket as well.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:15 am

+1 on checking the gasket. I also like to dab a touch of keg lube (provided it's a rubber-type gasket) every couple of tank changes to keep it pliable as well. After 6-7 years, I would imagine it's about time for a new gasket/rebuild, especially if you don't touch it up with lube from time to time.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:40 am

Re: Teflon tape, the guy at the gas supply place says that since the threads don't actually seal, they just hold the gasket tight, then teflon tape there won't help.

Re: gasket, so here's the mystery, All I appear to have is a rubber o-ring that's flush with the brass. Maybe I'm missing a gasket?

Pics:
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:35 pm

Whenever I change out the CO2 cylinder, I get a new gasket with the exchange. yours may have finally taken a set and not doing its job anymore. Get a new one and try again. Dos not need much torque on the tube nut seal. Do not overkill it.

As for teflon tape, that is only used on tapered threads (see SAE J476 for reference). Only when threads are the sealing mechanism. Seals the gaps, prevents thread galling.

CO2 cylinder threads are straight thread.

FYI
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:29 am

Mine has a seal on it that looks like a pineapple lifesaver. http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/co2- ... asher.html
Quin

Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:28 am

I showed those pics to another brewer and he have me one of those nylon washers, I'll try it out tonight. Thanks guys.
Colonel Fischer
10th Mountain Division
mfischer2

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing